Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
I am taking a reloading course soon and am considering using Wincheter 760. I have never reloaded before. How do Winchester powders compare to others??

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You don`t say what cartridge your going to load but W760 works well in quite afew. I have used it in my 708s with good results, although not the best, and in a 30-06 with 150 gr bullets.
I`d keep a open mind on powders, some work very well in one rifle and not at all in the next of the same caliber. The only way you`ll know is by trying. I have found some powders from Win to work very well in my rifles (748 in .223) and other rifles or bullets prefer other brands. Sometimes a slight change in burn rate can make a big differance in accuracy / preformance. If you tell us what cartridge your loading for I`m sure you`ll get a response as to some excellent powders to try.
Welcome to the hobby!!

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Back in the 80's and early 90's I used alot of Winchester Ball powders and liked them well. However they will discontinue a powder once you get a good load worked up for it without fail. Every shotgun/pistol powder they make gets upgraded/changed every couple years. Had enough....if Alliant, Hodgdon does'nt sell it I don't need it.
Just my $.02 worth.
Dan

<Loren>
posted
H414 is very similar to W-760 ( I hear it's made for Hodgdon by Winchester). I've had good results from H414 in my .30-06.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
I would not use Win. powders. Use Imr or Hodgdon or Alliant. Win. discontinued to many i was using.Win. may not even make there powder. Today, ball powder is a product of Primex Technologies, INC. ( from win. powder guide 1999.)

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny,

I currently am a proponent of Winchester powders and have had excellent results (for pistol loads). Currently, I use 231 & 296.

I use 231 for 9mm, .357, .38 & .45ACP.

Conversly, 296 for .357.

I like the 296 best for .357.

The only lesson learned to share is that with the 231 powder, ensure your round is crimped down as far as it'll go. Otherwise you might experiance minute amounts of powder remaining unburned.

------------------
Best regards,
Alex

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759

[This message has been edited by Alex Szabo (edited 03-16-2002).]

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
W296 in the .45ACP?
Blue Dot is as slow as I go in this caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan in Wa:
W296 in the .45ACP?
Blue Dot is as slow as I go in this caliber.

Dan,

Thanks [very much] for pointing out my foible (which I have promptly corrected)! I was pounding out on the keyboard and did not proof my work.

Actually, most of the time, I'll use Bullseye for 45 ACP vice the Blue Dot because I do not need as much powder to obtain identical performance.

Conversely, 231 is very, very, very similar in performance to the Bullseye. I think it boils down to economics and the old Ford versus Chevy argument.

------------------
Best regards,
Alex

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've used 231, 748, 760, 785, and WMR. As posted earlier, they do tend to change powders too often. Of the bunch, I've found 231 and 760 the most useful. I've never found their slower powders do anything better than the much easier to find Hodgedon or IMR offerings.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Start with IMR powders. As pointed out the Winchester powders change all of the time.

With IMR powders you can use one of the many free interior ballistic formulas based on Homer Powleys calculations.

IMR rifle powders are affordable and consistant. They are the standard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys.
I appreciate it.

<eldeguello>
posted
They seem to drop their magnum,extra slow powders. However, 748 and 760 have been on the market since the early 70's, so should be here for a while yet.