THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Wilson Trimmer...Need help choosing right accessories for .204 Ruger

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilson Trimmer...Need help choosing right accessories for .204 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I'd like to get a Wilson Case Trimmer for use in loading a new .204 that I have on order. I use Lee's trimmers now, but they only go down to .22 cal. pilots(even their custom orders) so I need a new trimmer for the .204.

I've looked at the Wilson on a couple of internet supply houses (Sinclair & Kinneman ..can't find a website for Wilson's company) but am still unsure of exactly what accessories I need with it. I'll only be loading hunting ammo so don't want to do any neck turning, only trimming to length & maybe some Chamferring.

I see they have 2 different trimmers (aside from the pricey one w/ the micrometer), one appears to be their regular trimmer, and the other is their Q-type.

There are a couple of different mounts also, a plain mount, and one w/ a clamping attachment for holding down case holders. Sinclair & Kinneman each have their own versions of the mounts.

And lastly, the case holders.????

So I guess my questions would be:

1.) For length trimming & maybe chamferring would I need the standard Trimmer or the Q-type?

2.) Can someone explain how the attachment for holding down case holders works and its purpose?

3.) Would I need the standard mount or the one w/ the clamping attachment?

4.) Case holders... I know there are case holders for new (unfired) and for fired brass, but not sure of the application for these. On the pull down menu at Sinclair's for the Case Holders their two choices are ".204 Ruger & .204 Ruger New". I would assume that the .204 Ruger listing would be for Fired cases as the other .204 listing states New. It's confusing to me because other calibers are listed as "New & Fired".

5.) Does anyone have a website for L.E.Wilson?

Sorry for being so long winded but I'm fairly new to reloading and some of this is still pretty confusing to me.

Appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

Many thanks,

YB

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I understand your questions,what you need is the standard "WTR" case trimmer with the Sinclair STLC clamping Sinclair trimmer mount. It (the STLC) does a good job of holding the case and case holder stationary for trimming which is its purpose.I would guess that the listing for the case holder should read "fired". As far as I know,the only "Q" product Wilson makes is the "Q" type pistol case holders. I have mine attached to a wooden cutting board,but if you have room to bolt it to your bench that'd be a better option. Also if you can afford the WSA power adapter,its nice to have your electric screwdriver do all the "work".
http://www.lewilson.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Norwester,

And thanks for the reply, that really clarified things for me. Didn't really want to drop $70.00 to trim one caliber but I recon if I like the Wilson as much as everyone else that braggs on 'em it won't be too expensive to get case holders for the rest of the calibers I reload and convert over all togather.

Thanks again, appreciate the input.

YB

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wilson with the micr is a little pricey but if ever bite the bullet and go for it, you will never need another one. I really like mine but I also waited a long time due to the price.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote