Find
Notify
Tools

loading with magnum rifle primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
lads,
I'm loading some 257 Bob and some 760 powder, manual suggest I use a mag. primer which is no problem I have lots.
I also have some Federal 215 Match primers, when would I use a match Magnum primer? thanks
FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you don't have any mag primers left.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Match and Benchrest primers are sold for target shooters supposedly to be more consistent, producing potentially smaller groups.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
lads,
I'm loading some 257 Bob and some 760 powder, manual suggest I use a mag. primer which is no problem I have lots.
I also have some Federal 215 Match primers, when would I use a match Magnum primer? thanks
FS

1. It is a myth that you have to use a magnum primer with a ball powder but of course you can.

2. I generally only buy match primers. Federal 215M primers are what I use for most of my belted magnum reloading. That said, in a 257 Roberts, I'd probably use a Federal 210M primer or maybe a CCI BR2.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even though I load several ball powders in several different cartridges, the only time I use a mag primer is when the cartridge has a belt. Kinda simplistic but it works for me.
I use match primers when I am loading for a competitive rifle for the warm fuzzy feeling they give me. I've tried using the same load, etc and changing only the primers even going so far as to mingle them and never could see any difference. But..... they cost more so they've got to be better.....right? Smiler
I've been told that the only difference between standard and match primers is they use the newest machines and the most experienced workers on the match.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I read somewhere years ago, in the infancy of my handloading, that a simple rule of thumb for magnum primers was any time you loaded over 60 grains of powder, or when using ball powders. Another occasion would be when using the real slow burners like AA 8700, Hodgdon 1000, etc.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can say with 100% certainty that switching to Fed 215's from regular large rifle primeers, when loading for my 7mm08 with Big Game, Win 760, or H414, groups shrank noticeably. It is worth a try if you have some to play with.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
I can say with 100% certainty that switching to Fed 215's from regular large rifle primeers, when loading for my 7mm08 with Big Game, Win 760, or H414, groups shrank noticeably. It is worth a try if you have some to play with.
That proves the old saw about each rifle is a law unto itself. Regardless of my experiences, you won't know for sure, until you try it for yourself. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man I love this website.. a Buddy of mine just handed me some Fed 215LMR primers to try with my 8x57 loads.. I appreciate the advice/comments

Posts: 123 | Location: Vero Beach, FL | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When working with W-760 (22-250 and 30-06 150 & 165 grain) I always had my best results with standard primers. I use CCI-200s. Interestingly I have found that magnum primers make a big difference in accuracy when loading H-335 in the 223 and 204.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you can source them, always use them for load development.

760 in a bob isn't a great combo -- WAY too slow .. 748 is better

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Remington 9 1/2 magnum primers in everything from 6mm to .338 and just about every cartridge in between under temperatures from -17 to 90 + in summer and have never had a failure or any change in poi...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
When working with W-760 (22-250 and 30-06 150 & 165 grain) I always had my best results with standard primers. I use CCI-200s. Interestingly I have found that magnum primers make a big difference in accuracy when loading H-335 in the 223 and 204.

I like them with reloader 7 and 40gr bullets in a 222 load

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
When working with W-760 (22-250 and 30-06 150 & 165 grain) I always had my best results with standard primers.

Me too. I use 760 quite a bit, exclusively on my favorite caliber, and I also believe it is a myth that you need a Magnum primer. I have also verified better velocities (about 50-60 fs as I recall) with the use of standard primers more than once. Using a Magnum primer alters the characteristics of the powder. Bigger flame, faster burn. I expect that has to do with why some are claiming better groups with Magnum primers. No free lunches in physics.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
if you can source them, always use them for load development.

760 in a bob isn't a great combo -- WAY too slow .. 748 is better

760 is faster than the 4350s. Both the IMR and H versions work very well in my 257.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I like Norma 203B/RL-15 in my Bob. 38 grains with Nosler 110 Accubond gives 2874 FPS. Very accurate.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote