New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time saving tools
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for ways to increase the efficiency of my reloading. I am not ready to step up to a progressive system yet, but am looking to get some equipment to speed up case trimming, chamfering, deburring, and primer pocket cleaning, etc... Any ideas will be appreciated. What the best investment for $100 (I currently have the RCBS Rock Chucker reloading kit and hand priming tool).

Has anyone used the Lee case trimmer in a drill? This system seems a little "mickey mouse" to me from the photos. Does it work? Does it cut the case necks square?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saved quite a bit of time when I started using a case tumbler to clean my brass. I formerly did it in a drill using brasso. It gave me very clean cases but took forever. An electric screwdriver can save you a good bit of time in your case prep. It'll help you with case trimming, and case neck deburring. Caution, don't using a regular drill for this. It's much too fast. That's about all I've done to speed up the process. I load mainly for accuracy at the range, and some things you don't really want to speed up. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used one, but the RCBS Case Prep Center is said to be really time saving.

It is automated chamfering, deburring, and inside the case neck brush.

I like to use the Forster Graphiter which deposits really fine graphite on the inside of the case neck.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
The best tool I have. Get one of these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=515804

and one of these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=136199

and one of these in each caliber

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=930066

Mount the Zip Trim on a piece of 2x4 and put it in your vise. It will take all the guess work out of trimming and trim each case to the exact same length. It trims square with no big flat edges on the neck like a regular trimmer so its easy to chamfer.

Get some 00 steel wool and you can clean the case at the same time and make them shine like a new penny.

Great stuff!! thumb and cheap.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of buying that exact setup. Do you have any problems with cases not being cut square due to inconsistant flash holes etc...

Is there a better way to charge cases? My RCBS powder measure works, but I have to be very exact with my throw or I get a variation in charge weight. It also takes long time to dial it in to get it to throw the correct charge.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't have the UPM Micro Adjuster, then you should.
It make measuring and consistency that much easier to do.
I have had customers buy the ZipTrim, and many of them have liked it.

-Spencer

posted Hide Post
You must get a Quick Measure it will reduce your reloading time by 80%
Get it from www.quick-measure.com

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:
I was thinking of buying that exact setup. Do you have any problems with cases not being cut square due to inconsistant flash holes etc...

Is there a better way to charge cases? My RCBS powder measure works, but I have to be very exact with my throw or I get a variation in charge weight. It also takes long time to dial it in to get it to throw the correct charge.

The Zip Trim and case length gauge actually insure that your neck will be cut square because the case length gauge is a rod that will fit through the neck snugly and keep the cutter at an exact 90 degrees.

Can't help you with powder throws, trickle charge each and every case.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Also, for saving time a spray lube is the fastest way to lube cases. When loading singly I have taken a liking to Imperial sizing wax, but for the Dillon a spray lube is the only way to go.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Time saving tools...

Um, factory ammo?

Hey, quit throwing those spent primers at me! Wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery!
Hit the target, all else is twaddle.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the Zip-trim, but do like the like the Lee case trimming system. I use it with a cordless drill/driver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which spray lube do you use? I quit using it because it took significantly more effort on the press handle to size cases. I can't remember which brand I was using.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What makes the zip trim superior to using the Lee trimmer and a cordless drill? Can you chamfer and deburr with it?

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Case Trimmer with a varible speed drill. I tried the electric screw driver and it just didn't cut it.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could not do my reloading without my Lyman case prep tool, my Lyman Universal case trimming tool hooked up to a drill, or my three Lyman automatic powder dispensors, or my priming die, all depending on an old RCBS Rock Chucker press. When you shoot 3000 plus rounds per year you need all the time saving tools available. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:
What makes the zip trim superior to using the Lee trimmer and a cordless drill? Can you chamfer and deburr with it?

If you notice on these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=930066

there is a small point that goes through the primer hole and then bears on the Zip Trim anvil. That is what spaces your trimmer at the appropriate distance from the case head. I don't know how you would do this with a drill without then measuring each case. Possibly the larger diameter rod would bear on the flash hole on the inside of the case, but that would not be consistent (we deburr flash holes, don't we?). If you used a drill and set the case head down on a hard surface so the case length gauge point would bear on a hard surface, it would work. Seems that would be a little awkward. The Zip Trim does all this for you. Hell, it's only $16.99. Then you hold the steel wool to the case, pull on the rope 3 -4 times and you don't have to wait hours on your tumbler (I'll sell you mine, haven't turned it on in months).

Yes, they do sell a chamfer tool for it

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=389104

I even got one, but couldn't figure it out. Got the Universal 3 Jaw Chuck too, but don't use it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the RCBS 3-Way Cutter? Anybody have any thoughts on this little tool?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had 3 Lee Zip-Trimmers and all 3 fell apart. I sent the first 2 back to Lee(at my expense) and ran the third through a trajectory/bouyancy test.
I bought the drill stud and the universal shell holder and use that now in my press. The cutter and gauge go in the press and I hold the case in the universal shell holder.
I made a handle of wood for the universal holder. That way, I can leave the press running and swap cases manually.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
After the trimming is done my RCBS Tim Mate Case Prep Center with 5 motorized stations that accepts several different brass prep tools is a great time saver. Inside / outside chamfer, debur flash hole, uniform primer pocket, clean pocket, brush neck, dry lube neck, etc. It is a very useful tool that will accept many accessories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods, I think you misunderstand how the Lee case trimmer works when used with a drill. The case is held by a "lock stud" mounted on the drill. Basically, the drill replaces the Zip Trim and works the same way.