New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Accuracy Loads for 308 Win.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My old Nosler manual lists Re12 as most accurate powder, Naturally, it's not made anymore.

Could someone look in the latest book and post Nosler's most accurate load for the 150 gr. B-Tip?

Thanks

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
Don't know what Nosler lists as their most accurate load but I've had success with IMR 4064 and the 150 gr. BT

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
And I've had great sucess with XMR 4060 with either 168 grain Noler J4 or Sierra MKs.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Albert: My latest Nosler Manual (#5) shows "Viht N140" as being the most accurate powder tested for their 150 gr. offerings! And 42.5 grs of "Viht N140" as being the most accurate LOAD tested with this "most accurate" powder.
Hope this helps.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine still lists R12 so can't help there. My best are just what KennethI said. Won't hurt to try R15 and Varget also.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Another fine and accurate powder with the 150 grain offerings is Varget, 45 grains works well for me. Actually, IMR 3031 and 41 grains is awesome accurate as well.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for sharing your loads.

I've got several of the suggested powders so I guess I'll whip up 5 rounds of each and see which one works best.

Thanks, VarmintGuy. Just what I was looking for. Naturally, a powder nearly impossible to obtain 'round this ballistic backwater....

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 150 I would look at N140, 748, H4895 and N135. If you have any Varget try that also. It is on the slower side but it's a favorite amoungst palma shooters with the Sierra 155 Palma pill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz, I second the votes for Varget and N-140. The Vihta stuff is easy enough to get there in Mobile, just go online and order it from Powder Valley!

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have 2 lbs of RL-12 so I think I will whip up some 7.62 NATO ammo

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nosler found R12 to be accurate in thier test rifle but, that doesn't mean it's gonna be accurate in your rifle. Matter of fact, it may just be the worst powder you ever try in your rifle. Every barrel is different. I'd just give one of the other popular powders (that's readily available) a try in your rifle. Varget and H4895 gave me pretty good consistency with that weight bullet.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Reloader. I know that the accuracy load list is not always the best, but I gotta start somewhere. I'll try the powders I have on hand first and then N140. One of these ought to work.

I've used 4064 with fair results so if can't find the grail, I can fall back on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ga,try reloader 15 also,regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Grizz Al,

Good powder choices from all above. I have had similar expereince as Varmint Guy and have been using VV N-140 lately, Wow! Really shoots small groups with 150, 165 & 168 grain bullets and like he says - used VV's recommendation and it all starts to come together at about the 42.5 gr. point for each of these bullets.

Also had good success with H-4895, IMR-4320 and the small bit of IMR-4064 I had left over - these with 150 grain Nosler BT's.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote