THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone tired the Rainier Plated Pistol bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I thought about trying the 158 grn JHPs in my 357. I've tried Wins, Sierras, and XTPs and the Wins seem to be the most accurate so far. Thought about trying plated bullets to see if they were any more accurate.

Any of you tried them?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I use them in my 1911 .45acp and get very good results. I load cast bullets for practice and use the plated for show. I've only tried a couple of real groups firing from elbows on knees but they group better (my load anyway) than half to most factory loads I've fed it.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I have used the 115gr RN in my 9mm. Can't give an honest opinion on exact accuracy, these are just my plinkin rounds. I can say that the last time I shot them, I went through 6 magazines rapid fire, rapid reload at 25 feet and tore a 6-8 inch hole in the paper. Also didn't have any problems with cycling. They did seem to copper foul a little worse than other, more expensive bullets though.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot loads spin the skins off making for extra holes in the target.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find a true jacketed bullet a bit more accurate, but for speed shooting, IDPA, etc. they work fine. If you are looking for an accurate hunting type bullet, stick w/ the RP, WW, etc.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
Curiosity got the best of me so I picked up 500 of them from Cabelas for pretty cheap. Loaded up the 230Gr. HP in a Kimber 1911 under 7.8gr. of AA #5 and 10 shots went into one big hole rested at 15 yards. Cheap, reliable, and accurate...did I mention cheap. For everyday target loads I can't complain.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I bought a box to run through my .40sw,,,Does good!!,,very little fouling,,very accurate,,will order again,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
230 grain not bad . I have loaded my 1911 with

them quiet often .

Posts: 103 | Location: Piney woods of southeast TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I don't care for them but have noticed that they do much better in a bore than has seen some use or one that has shallow rifling. WHen the bullets are engraved deeply, accuracy goes out the window.

Accuracy can be quite good -- not great, but more than acceptable.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I like Rainer in my 38/357's.
They are great for indoor ranges.No lead dust.
They aren't made for hunting or high speeds.
Berry's Manufacturing makes some great , all copper wrapped bullets too.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought 2000 rds for my .45's(kimber, ruger, colt officers ser. 80). They feed fine in all but the colt. But, its very picky on what I feed it. The kimber and ruger will eat anything.
From what I've observed, they are very soft and can't take alot of bumping around. Dent or get marred very easily(accuracy probs). Good bullet for one thing...targets. And as mentioned in previous posts...cheap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
Hot loads spin the skins off making for extra holes in the target.

Yes, I have had this happen with my .357 magnum. I first noticed the problem when I found little rectangles of copper embedded in the front of my chronograph. They were about as wide as rifling grooves, and about as long as the distance from the base of the bullet to the crimp.

I therefore decided the problem was too much crimp. That is, a heavy crimp must cause the case mouth to cut through the thin copper plating. The rifling must either cut through or weaken the plating so it breaks through when fired.

A couple of times, I've been hit in the upper part of my arm with something when firing these bullets. I imagine those little curved rectangles could make a u-turn in the air. Not likely, but fire enough of them and the unlikely will eventually happen.

Once, I found the back half of one of those copper plated "jackets" sitting in the mouth of one of the chambers when I opened the cylinder.

I may be a slow learner, but I eventually get the message. I stopped using them in my .357.

I still use them in my .45 and see no reason to stop.

Lots of people use these bullets in revolvers without having problems. Just don't use a real heavy crimp or max loads. I recommend loading a couple of dummy rounds, then pulling the bullets to check if the crimp is breaking the skin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we've been shooting a ton of them (also berry's) with great results. the don't even lead up or cause problems in subguns

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What poletax said.

quote:
Berry's Manufacturing makes some great , all copper wrapped bullets too

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Reloader, I'm glad you asked the question. I'd wondered about the economical Plated Bullets myself.

Good first-hand experience answers from everyone.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Hot Core, it's nice to hear everyone's experience w/ these.

I don't think I'm going to try them in my 357 as I intend on loading w/ Lil' Gun and Blue Dot for some pretty speedy loads and it seems like the Jackets may not hold up in the barrel. The last Cast bullets I tried at descent speeds were a nightmare.

These bullets should work great in my 38 and my 40 S&W.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I have shot Rainer's FP in my 9mm Browning,
and my .45 1911, for targets, and had excellent
accuracy. I tried Berry's, in the 1911, and clearly
the accuracy was not as good a Rainer bullets, in
this gun. Now I just buy Rainer Bullets for target
shooting.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote