THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    If you could have only 1 powder what would it be?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you could have only 1 powder what would it be?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
If you could have only 1 powder what would it be for rifle cartridges from a
25-06' thru a .375 Holland @ Holland?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
If this question were asked only one time, I would be happy...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4895

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 15

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H-4350

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H-414

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
H-4350

Posts: 8 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Varget

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
IMR4831

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4831SC, but I would sneak a little ACC2200DP in there somewhere so I could continue to reload for my .223Rem.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget, it's the Unique of rifle powders.
Big Grin

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easy answer for me, RL-22 would be the one powder I use much more than any other. I use it for my .257 Wby, 270 WSM, a buddies 7mm Wby, my .300 Winny and 5 others for Elk hunting buddies, my .358 STA's, and 416 Rigby. I have 22 pounds on hand of one lot number and 4 of another lot number. wave thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2355 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4895

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Gun Powder... Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
RL-19

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kutenay:
H-4350

Same here.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
H4350

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Why H4350 and not IMR4350 ?

Is there a difference? 30-06, 7x57mm, and .375 are the main calibers that I reload and use IMR4350 for all three.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4831

Posts: 978 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I 'll go with RL-15 because I know it works in most all my rifles quite well.
Then maybe H-322......................

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of the above works....

them I would be constantly complaining I could only use one powder....

that is like only using one rifle! homer

that would suck!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As usual,Seafire is correct. All the above work well for the purpose described.

For myself, I'd go bonkers trying to decide between VihtaVouri N-140, Re-19, or just plain old-time IMR 4064 (maybe couldn't get the velocities out of 4064, but one sure as heck could get accuracy!).

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
IMR 4895

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerAnswering this is like trying to figure out only one rifle to have. But that might beeasier than figuring out one powder. I have used IMR 4064 for .223, 6.5 jap, 7.7 jap, .243, 30/06, 308, 41 magnum and 300 magnum. Would have it for sure.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain
Why H4350 and not IMR4350 ?

Is there a difference?

Yes there is.

H 4350 is slower, so you can usually use a few grains more of it than IMR 4350, with the result being increased velocity. It is often more accurate than IMR 4350. I think it is the optimum powder for 270 and 300 grain bullets in the .375 H&H, and it works well in many other cartridges, including 7x57, .270 winchester, 30-06, .308, the 6mms, the Weatherby and other magnums, and others. It is not necessarily optimum for most of those with most bullets, but it will do very well with nearly all bullets in them.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
but it (H-4350) will do very well with nearly all bullets in them.

True. The only reason I didn't pick some version or another of 4350 is its reputation for bending op rods in Garands because of excessive port pressure related to its slow burning rate. Even the 4064 I did pick is right on the ragged edge of doing that. So,if I was gonna still shoot a Garand (which I do fairly regularly), I'd probably change my pick to some version of 4895 or VihtaVouri N-135, or (a distant 3rd) Nobel TU5000.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
H4350 would work for me; .260ai to .404jeffery.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the difference between IMR-4895 and H-4895? I'm trying to keep my beginnings as a reloader as simple as possible. I'm gonna be loading for a Browning BLR .308 Lever Gun and a 1937 Russian Mosin-Nagat 7.62X54R.

Posts: 51 | Location: Jacksonville, NC | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smokeless

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocWestFMF:
What's the difference between IMR-4895 and H-4895? I'm trying to keep my beginnings as a reloader as simple as possible. I'm gonna be loading for a Browning BLR .308 Lever Gun and a 1937 Russian Mosin-Nagat 7.62X54R.

The H version is slightly faster that the I version.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I can find charts all day telling me which powders burn faster than others. How/Where do I figure out how much faster.... Such as "X" grains of "Y" powder will burn in "A" seconds.

Posts: 51 | Location: Jacksonville, NC | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I likes me some Varget for the 9.3s which usualy seem to be my favorite round...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, I can find charts all day telling me which powders burn faster than others. How/Where do I figure out how much faster.... Such as "X" grains of "Y" powder will burn in "A" seconds.

Then why did you ask the question?

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Wow

This thread is almost 7 years old.

To answer my own question I am a big fan of Imr 4350.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any 4350

Posts: 1136 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:

You could ask the powder manufacturers, but they probably won't give you an answer.

The powder burning rate charts are only relative and may change from lot to lot. To get the charts you see, the powders are burned in a certain sized ball, however in actual use the burning rates will vary depending on several factors such as loading density, case size and type and etc.

I think the reason you can't find the charts you are looking for is because they don't want reloaders calculating themselves into a disaster because it's not as simple as it looks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magpro and it ain't even close.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
RL-15/Norma 203B I use it in almost everything from 223 to 450/400 3 inch Nitro Express.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
H 335. From hornet to 550 magnum

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38650 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the rifles I load for, probably Rldr-22
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote