New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pushing shoulder Barnes Banded Solid
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New Norma brass, annealed shoulder and neck.
Hornady and Aframes seat normal. BBS measures same but is pushing soft shoulder when seating.
Redding, .416 Rem Mag.
Light lube in neck worked but is there a better way?
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
416 Rem having no issues with 416 Ruger & 416 Rigby sharper shoulders collapse easier if excessive bullet seating resistance. If mouth burred needs chamfering.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Leonard:
New Norma brass, annealed shoulder and neck.
Hornady and Aframes seat normal. BBS measures same but is pushing soft shoulder when seating.
Redding, .416 Rem Mag.
Light lube in neck worked but is there a better way?
Scott

Barnes TSX seat much more easily for me when I flare the case mouth a little bit. I follow up with enough Lee Factory Crimp to just get rid of the flare. This is in my puny .30 cal stuff and a .458 socom, but it might help your case too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had banded solids collapse the shoulder on .416 Rigby, chamfering the inside of the neck solved the issue.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I’ve had banded solids collapse the shoulder on .416 Rigby, chamfering the inside of the neck solved the issue.

X-2 tu2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've only collapsed the shoulder with them when trying to seat and crimp in the same operation. But my expander does put a decent flange on the mouth prior to seating the way I have it adjusted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In rare cases you sometimes need to outside or inside neck ream then resize..too tight a neck can cause problems..A chamber cast usually reveals all problems..

Perhaps one size larger expander ball will solve your problem, in most cases thats the easiest and quickest way to solve your problem..expander balls are cheap so its the easy fix in 99% of such cases..

But first try a slow gentle touch, ease the bullet it, don't cram it..usually works, with a decent chamfer..Its particularly a problem with double rifles and thin brass..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote