New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder storage
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
I have a question on powder storage. My friend recently moved so I had to move all of my reloading equipment out of his basement over to my apartment. However, my apartment does not have air conditioning. It gets pretty warm during the day during the summer months. How will this affect my powders? Do you guys have any ideas on what I can do about this?

Thanks,

Alan

<gone hunting>
posted
here's how i do it
i keep the powder in ammo cans marked as to content, i keep the ammo cans in an old refrigerator.
i put a lock on the fridge door to keep the kids out.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

<LReynolds>
posted
I have powders about 20 yrs old that are as good as new. I keep all my powder stored in standard coolers which are in a small storage house which is in the hot west Texas sun. I have never had a problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I can beat that. I have some powder that is over 50 years old and still performs to spec. Anyway, I would be more concerned about humidity than temperature. The temperature in a dwelling is not going to get high enough to damage powder, and if stored in the original metal or plastic containers, humidity should not be a problem. I even have some in cardboard kegs, for that matter, which is doing fine in an unairconditioned store rooom.

Single-base powders (IMR's and similar) are said to have more stability and longer shelf life than double based powders which contain nitroglycerin (most flake powders). Watch the double base powders more closely.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek: Me too. I have some 4831 that was originally purchased at the Philadelphia Navy Yard in the early 50's. At the time it came in what looked like a gallon screwtop can. I have about two pounds left and it still performs to spec. It was stored in basements since it was acquired. In this area, that translates to maybe 80 degrees F. on a hot day.

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote