New
Find
Notify
Tools

Round Nose bullets
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
Why would someone want to load roundnose bullets? I am just curious. I know you get big expansion with deep penetration but with short range due to the low BC. Has anyone had better accuracy results up to 200 yards with the round nose than the SBT. Just trying to pick out a bullet to start loading in my 300RUM for a moose trip. I have a good load for Nosler PT but everyone seems to be having bad performance out of PT. I even shot a deer this year with the Partitions at 200 yards and the bullet fragmentated alot and couldn't find the bullet. What about the pro hunter 200g from Sierra?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read on another thread that a person was loading woodleigh 200 gr protected points in the caliber you own for 3000 fps and other people said that would be an excellent load for game the size you are hunting. My experiecnce with sierra bullets is that they fly apart even on thin skinned animals, the velocity of your rum would also contribute to more bullet failure. This is alright on the ferals I shoot but would be no good for moose. I definitely would go with the woodleighs for moose if I ever had the chance to hunt them.

Regards PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bigcountry,
Round-nose bullets can be VERY accurate.
One of my .375s puts three 300gr. Hornady RN bullets into a large ragged hole at 100yds, and the point of impact is the same as with my spire-point Swift A-Frames.
Unless you expect to shoot your moose at long range (>300yds.), round-nosed bullets don't drop much more than a spire-point.

To avoid bullet break-up at close range, consider using a bonded-core bullet in that .300RUM, like the Swift Scirocco or a bonded-core/partition-style bullet like the Swift A-Frame.
I've never gotten less than 90% weight retention in bullets recovered from large game such as eland, wildebeest, and Cape buffaloes.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are going to lose maybe a couple of inches at 300yds is all. Only shooting them in your rifle will give you an exact. I am assuming a 200gr bullet at @3000fps. I have found round nosed bullets to be quite accurate. Moose are big animals but are killed every year by folks using .35remingtons and such.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigcountry,

I would be wary of shooting round nose bullets from a 300 Ultra at big animals.

My reason for thinking this way is that the round noses in 30 caliber are probably designed with the 30/06 in mind.

You could email Sierra or Hornady and ask them as they normally reply within a few days. As a bonus, after you email them Sierra puts you onto an email list for news bulletins.

As to round noses themselves, I love them.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Scott H>
posted
Another reason for round nose bullets is to increase weight and keep the projectile stable. The round nose bullet is shorter than a spitzer or spitzer-boat tail of the same weight.

<500 AHR>
posted
For long range shooting use a spire point boat tail period! The round noses aren't any good anyway a flat point is much much better for upsetting tissue and promoting massive tissue trauma.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
A round nose will open just as well or better on game than a flat point. Just ask the 2 deer I shot this last season with a 30-30 FP and a 338 RN.

My 338-06 AI likes Hornaday 250 gr RN better than any other bullet I've tried (and I've tried almost everything available). My load shoots that 250 grain RN -1.5" at muzzle, 2.4" high at 100 yds, 0.0 at 200 yds, and 10.1" at 300 yds.

I am a realist. I do not attempt shots longer than 300 yards. I regularly shoot the 380 and 450 yd silhouettes at the range but I won't attempt a shot on game at those distances.

Many people do, however attempt shots at distances past 300 yds. Maybe they need spire point bullets but they sure as heck don't need a boat tail. All a boat tail does for you is rob you of powder space. The long, spitzer boat tails sell so well because a loaded round looks very much like a Nike missile. But that is all the advantage they offer. My grandfather shot to many hundreds of deer with flat point and round nose bullets, near and far, for me to think otherwise.

I truly believe in the RN bullet. Just ask the man at Hawk bullets. He'll tell you that a bullet can be made to perform perfectly on game easier when designed as a RN than when designed as a spitzer. He will also tell you that, with his bullets, your trajectories won't be that different either. Trust me. He's right.

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice , practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatter,

You must have done more shooting than reading

The Australian Hornady agent will tell you that the buyers of round noses all have one thing in common....lots of field shooting.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried several different loads trying to get my dads rifle to group, and I shot a box of roundnose actually to get the brass so I could reload it. Imagine my surprise when they shot better than anything else. I got some roundnose remington core locks, and they shoot great groups. You just never know. It helps that most shots here are closer than 200 yards.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Dave>
posted
The comments of Mike375 & Eterry are very interesting and just what I have always thought.

Why then did Remington discontinue the Roundnose Corelokt??? Their customers must read more than they shoot...

------------------
Davis Chase

<bigcountry>
posted
I am working on a load for Speer Grand Slams right now, but I guess I will break down and pay the 1 dollar/bullet for A-Frames. I never had good luck out of Scirrocos.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why? Because they work very very well in standard shooting (non magnum, non long range, non laboratory conditions)and normaly without a lot of fuss.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
bigcountry,
I use Honardy RN bullets for my loads in .458 Win/Lott. I use 350 gr and 500 gr bullets. I have choose these bullets for great accuracy for training myself and my rifle (plinking on paper target) before hunting. I love these bullet for accuracy and for the purchase price too.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ringneck>
posted
Ok guys, what about wind drift on the round nose? Here in Kansas the wind is always blowing. You are correct that the drop isn't that big of deal but I don't think I would want to use them at longer ranges when the wind is blowing.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by ringneck (edited 01-16-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Okay ringneck,

You are right about wind deflection. If you are in the situation where you have an absolute 90 degree cross-wind, you will have roughly twice the wind deflection with a round nose as with a spitzer of the same weight and at the same distance.

On the other hand,

I use the 338-06 with a 250 grain round nose. It has a relatively high BC. If you are shooting a 150 grain 30 cal spitzer soft point at 2900 fps in a 30-06, a 20 Mph cross wind will move your bullet approximately 15 inch over at 300 yards. My 250 gr. 338 moving at a lowly 2600 fps will be moved approx 20 inches over at 300 yds.

With either shot, compensation will have to be made for wind deflection. 5 inches of difference isn't enough for me to risk proper bullet expansion and penetration by using a spitzer.

Mike375,

I've done some reading.

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice , practice, practice.

[This message has been edited by Wildcatter (edited 01-16-2002).]

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, you may be more correct than you think. The gun writers have to write about something. And, at the time, spitzer bullets were new. AND gave you better ballistics. What the writers didn't bother to tell the readers was that only at loooong range did the spitzers come into their own. The boat tail bullet was a manufacturing asset (its ever so much easier to push a boat tail into a case than a flat base) that was sold to the military as giving enhanced downrange ballistics. waaaaay downrange. Kinda like the hoopla that is associated with the moonrocket rifles of today. If you get the bullet going fast enough, you don't have to know how to judge distance, nor know how to stalk, nor get very far from you car phone.
Big Country, isn't "big expansion and deep penetration" the number one prerequisite of a hunting bullet?

[This message has been edited by beemanbeme (edited 01-17-2002).]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roundnose advantages:
Easier to make expand reliaby.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roundnose advantages:

Easier to make expand reliaby.
Necessary for tubular magazines.
Heavier weight can be stabilized in slow twist barrel.

Roundnose disadvantages:

Not as aerodynamic, meaning more drop over a given distance, less energy at a given distance, and more wind drift at a given distance.

Everyone has his own idea of the distance at which roundnose disadvantages outweigh its advantages, but most would agree that it doesn't matter at less than a hundred yards and matters a lot at more than 200 yards.

I personally just don't have any use for a roundnose because almost all of my hunting offers opportunities at more than 200 yards.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ringneck>
posted
Catter... I didn't realize the wind drift was that similar between the two types of bullets. About your 338-06, what kind of expansion did you get on the deer that you shot? I have a 338-06 that I am working loads up for. I skipped the 250 grain Round Nose because I thought it wouldn't expand well on deer. I'd be interested to hear more about it.

Shawn

<500 AHR>
posted
Catter,

I agree with you actually. I thought I would be a bit of a smart arse. Actually, though I think that a flat point shocks a little better than a round nose though, but I am not certain if it makes much of a difference.

When I said long range I meant loooong range say 800+ yards. At those yardages the boattail is advantageous. The bolt tail improves stability at subsonic velocities, which are attained at loooong range. For 400 or so yards you are right the boat tail serves no purpose and is a powder space reducer.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post

Shawn,

I use that 250 RN with 4064, at 2600 fps. The deer I shot with it was standing towards me at 120 yards. The bullet went in through the center of the heart, drove in a straight line, and out his hip. I never recovered the bullet, darn it.

When I removed the heart, on the entry side, there was a perfectly round .338 cal. hole. On the back side however, there was a hole about an inch and a quarter in diameter. This shows how quickly the bullet expanded to full dia. Furthermore, the straight path and exit through bone means substantial weight retention and terminal sectional density. I could not have been more pleased. In fact I am going to be doing some penetration tests of many different bullets and building a website pretty soon to display my findings.

I'll keep using the Hornaday 250/338 RN.

-Catter

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like big heavy round nose bullets, but I doubt that I could come up with much justification for them if it got down to the wire.....they kill great and seem to shoot as flat as I can hold and they are dependable but so are the spitzer and every bit as much...Maybe its nostalgia!! It's probably all twaddle

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dave.

The American public is is so obsessed with speed and pointed bullets that the sales of the RN Bullets has all but "died".

I'm surprized that Hornady and Sierra still even make them.

On the other hand, those of us that have used them, love them.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
I would think that the reverse question would be more appropiate: why to use spitzers?

It�s annoying that there aren�t any RN:s at all in .222"...

Most seriously,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Fritz,

If you mean in .224" I used to load the 55 gr Sierra semi pt in my .222 Remington. This was to get more "killing power". This was a long time ago before there was a Blitz or a Hornady SX made for those velocities. I don't know if that bullet is still made or not. For sure I was just guessing then.

I have some Speer 70 gr round nose bullets in .224. The box looks quite new but I don't recall when I got them or if they are still made.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
Fritz,

If you mean in .224" ...

Yes Don,

you�re right: so I mean. I�m going to have a look at the bullet you suggest.

Fritz

<Slamfire>
posted
I cried when told that Hornady no longer made the 140 grain 6.5mm roundnose. My 6.5x50SR (Jap) didn't give up anything to the 6.5x54 at that weight. The trajectory doesn't really suffer until you pass 250 yards or so. They really aren't the bullets that sell in the sexy ads so prevalent nowdays, but they are reliable killers at modest velocities.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey catter how about comparing apples to apples

Hornady bullets .338 at 2600 fps 100yds zero 15mph cross wind.

range,,,,100,,,,200,,,,,300,,,,,,400
trajectory
RN,,,,,,,,0,,,,,-5.1,,,,-18.8,,,,-43.7
SP,,,,,,,,0,,,,,-4.6,,,,-16.4,,,,-36.7

drift
RN,,,,,,,,2,,,,,,8.2,,,,,19.7,,,,,,37.3
SP,,,,,,,,1.3,,,,5.4,,,,,12.5,,,,,,23.3

I'll use a well made SP over a RN anytime

Sorry about all the comas but it just wouldn't leave the spaces in when I submitted it and there I was thinking that microsoft word was the most frustrating program I had used.

[This message has been edited by 416SW (edited 01-23-2002).]

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416SW,

Your figures leave out to vital points.

Firstly, checkout how small the extra distance is before the Spire Point has dropped the same as the round nose.

Secondly, my experience has been that the spitzers don't always deliver the quoted ballistic coefficient.

Undoubtedly nose damage could contribute.

But I think what also happens is that the sitzer often gets a bit of a wobble up and that wipes out a lot of ballistic coefficient.

Remember that extreme range target shooting is done with rifles where the twist rate is only just enough to stabilise the bullets. I think twists that are too fast are inclined to cause spitzers to wobble for a while.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Firstly, checkout how small the extra distance is before the Spire Point has dropped the same as the round nose."

uhhh. I guess you saw the figures before i put all the comas in. I looked at the traj figures out to 800 and the sp just keeps getting better, the RN drops 78" more than the SP at 800.

You may be right about the drop figures for the SP I may one day do a test.

Could I borrow your chrono to test remaining vel at 800

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416SW,

What I meant is, that let us say a round nose drops 18 inches at 300 yards and the spire point drops 12 inches at 300 yards.

You will find that the Spire point will be down 18 inches at not much past 300 yards.

In fact it takes a huge difference in muzzle velocity to gain 50 yards.

I have never chronographed bullets at anything except 15 feet range.

But my general observations based on bullet drop and shooting steel plate lead me to be very suspicious of quoted ballistic coefficients of spitzer bullets used in what amounts to twist rates that are far quicker than required for the bullets.

The bullets I have shot the most where both spire point and round nose are used is the 270 grain Hornady 375 bullets.

I have used the 375 since I was about 20 and am now 53. If shooting roos and pigs is a sin with 375s, then in hell I will be for a long long time

Some rifles will shoot the Spire better and some riflesmight shoot the Spite better with certain powders. So I have, I do and I will continue to use the Spire.

But for me at least, the 270grain round nose has given better result at all ranges tha the Spire point and is my bullet of choice.

As I said, some time certain 375s will do better accurayc wise with the 270 grain Spire with certain powders etc. so sometimes I am forced to use the spire point.

Lastly,when measured against many years of use, where bullets are changed by manufactures for different reasons etc., the round nose just seems to be the most consistent.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
I was joking about chrono at 800 it would require some damn fine shooting just get a reading and thats not thinking about a round in the chrono, thats why I wanted to use yours and not mine
How about wind drift? what are your experiences RN v SP
In 20 yrs of reloading I've never used RN just accepted B tables as being close and been happy with the SP etc as far as performance goes.
I think 375 is a fine pig gun, personally I think the 243 a bit marginal for pigs.
Have seen skippy shot with 375 but bullets were to hard for the vel so they just drilled holes, not good skippy gun.
What do you think about my 416/505 for Hog deer and skippy? Hopefully I will get to try it on Sambar as well, and one day buff I hope. my friends 416Weath improved is most effective on rabbits, although 7mm rem has been the most spectacular I have seen so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
416SW,

I have always found that both Hornady 270 round nose and spire points work well on roos, as have other shooters I know who use them. Low chest shots and gut shots are often quite devastating.

As to wind, to me they both seem about the same.

But I guess I find wind out west a bit like distance. The animals seem tobe inside 300 yards or way out further. At 300 and less a 308 or wahtever is fine and way out further you are holding over no matter what the caliber.

Wind seems to be the same as well.

The conclusion I came to years ago was that there was not much real world difference between calibers, so use what you like was the best.

But one thing that is strange.I have used the 270, 308, 300 Win and 375 more than anything else.

But my "hits to shots fired" have probably been better with the 308 and 270.

The only explanation I have is that with the shots out towards 300 yard you are starting to do some holdover with the 308 and 375 and perhaps this just better equips you for the much longer shots.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
Fritz,

I have some Speer 70 gr round nose bullets in .224. The box looks quite new but I don't recall when I got them or if they are still made.

Don,

I have seen these Speer 70 grain RN, but never tried them, as they are rather heavy. Did you ever try them in your .222" Rem? Did they stabilize? And if so, with what powder load?

It would be a ideal bullet for roe deer, if I could fire it in my BRNO .222".

Best ragards,

Fritz

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I owned a Browning Safari grade 243 Winchester bolt gun. While testing this rifle for it's preferred bullet/powder charge for deer hunting, I had the chance to test this rifle with both of the Speer 105 bullets, spitzer and round nose. With, I think it was, 49.5 grains of IMR 4350, fired off with CCI LR Mag.
The spitzer was accurate, less then one inch consistantly, the round nose put them thru the same hole all day, every day. It was accurate out at 200 yards as well. I used this rifle load combination for 5 or 6 years for deer in the fall then switched to Sierra's 80 gr. BTHP for ground hogs in the spring/summer.
Unfortunately I gave this rifle to my second wife for an anniversary present. She used for a number of years for target shooting and deer hunting. She declared me to be evil, took her dog and pony show down the road. She took that lovely rifle with her. I truely miss that rifle as accurate, easy going rifles are hard to find.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote