New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 Win brass formed from 243 brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm out of 308win brass. I have some ordered.

Noticed I had a lot of 243 Win brass so decided to try and form 308 from 243. Just as an experiment. Not that I want do this on a big scale.

lubed the inside of the neck and ran through a 7mm-08 die then the 308 die.

It appears to be a 308 win case now. Length is right for a 308. Chambers in the gun just fine.

Question - Does any other operation need to be performed on this converted brass?

Is this brass safe to use as is?

Thanks

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
You will be close enough. Any small inconsistencies due to the resizing will be corrected on the first firing. I go this route with the 25/06 .270 and 3006 pretty often and have never had an issue.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your necks may be uneven after forming or fireforming! You may have to trim them to even them up. I like to anneal when necking brass whether it is necking up or necking down.

Hip

Posts: 1826 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is a 308 case now.
it was a 30-08 case before it was a 6mm-08 case.
now it's back where it started only without the stamp on the bottom saying so.

fire form it, cut the case mouth straight, throw an anneal on it and carry on.

Posts: 4975 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grafs has a real good selection of .308 brass. I don't bother to neck up/down unless the real thing is non-existent or I'm making up a wildcat. Necking up always thins the neck walls and after you get it where ya' want, it needs to be annealed.

Posts: 680 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have formed 7mm-08 brass from 308.

I have form 7mm-08 form 243 I found federal 243 worked the best.

I have now found enough 7mm-08 brass not to worry.

Posts: 19371 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OP was asking about 308

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't expect it to last long. Annealing might help but that is a lot of stretching at the neck. Otherwise it should be fine.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
OP was asking about 308

Same concept.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I wouldn't expect it to last long. Annealing might help but that is a lot of stretching at the neck. Otherwise it should be fine.

Annealing will definitely help! I am working the 20th. loading of my .375 H&H AI made from .300 WBY brass, 14 loadings of .338 WM made from 7mm RM and a bunch of loadings for my .375 Win. made from .30-30.

Yes annealing sure will help!

Try it, you don't have much to lose and you will learn from it.

Hip

Posts: 1826 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
OP was asking about 308

Same concept.

except thread was about OPs interest. not yours. which has never bothered you before. just everyone else. short man "me me" complex.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Necking the case neck down or up: Be very sure you have neck clearance after seating a bullet. you may have to turn the outside of the neck. I have formed many 30/06 cases to 308 for benchrest type rifles. Because the barrels were machine gun barrels the chamber was a little loose for the cartridge, I tightened up the chamber neck with the formed 30/06 cases. And accuracy before forming the cases was very accurate. Out of all of the rifles the smith built the only complaint was from the shooter that purchased the rifle with a generous chamber.

And now I am wondering what kind of a problem he is having sizing those cases that were fired from a machine gun (barrel).

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
OP was asking about 308

Same concept.

except thread was about OPs interest. not yours. which has never bothered you before. just everyone else. short man "me me" complex.

Experience in necking up cases is just that experience in necking up cases.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If the head size is the same, you can convert any case anything else.

Only thing you cannot do is make it longer.

Shorter is is always possible.

One of the most ridiculous case firming I have ever had to do is make brass for the 300 Phoenix.

An over rated cartridge which never made.

I had to make the brass from 338 Lapua magnum.

The Phoenix is also shorter.

As you can imagine, this involved several operations.

I was given the rifle by a friend who does not reload.

And there is no factory ammo.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Necking the case neck down or up:

Necking up and or down; It is assumed the neck of the case gets thicker and or thinner; No consideration is given for the possibility the case neck gets longer and or shorter when necking up and or down.

I have formed short cases with longer cases to offset generous chamber necks like the 308 W, 7.65 Nato machinegun barrels chamber.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote