Find
Notify
Tools

HDY 275 gr. RN 35 Cal- Experience?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I came across several old boxes of Hornady 275 gr. RN bullets. They have been out of production for years and I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with them in the field? For a 358 Norma, 350 Rigby or larger, it seems like they might be good performers.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They were developed for the 35 Remington and worked fair in the 35 Whelan but were known to come apart at magnum velocity and not recommended by some for the Whelan..Lot of conversation about them back in the day, but that was the pre computer era, and took place in small town coffee shops, more fun too..Whew, those old boys would get after it!!

I think I have a box or two of them around here somewhere..but no 35 rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
VERY VERY VERY soft ..358 winchester

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that a very old Hornady loading manual lists some loads for the Hornady 275 gr 35 cal bullet in the 35 Whelan. There are no loads listed for that bullet in the 35 Rem. I doubt that bullet was ever intended for the 35 Rem. It may also have been used in the old 9x57 mauser. It may also have been used in the 35 Newton but not a lot of those around

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of yous guys seem to be confusing Confused 200 gr. Hornadys with 275 gr. Hornadys!

No way can you use a 275 gr. Hornady in a .35 Rem. except a very custom chambered bolt action!

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did a little more poking around and found another cartridge the 275 gr Hornady 35 cal bullet may have been used in. The 35 G&H mag. Basically the 375 H&H necked down to 35 cal or the 300 necked up. This calibre came out in the early 30's about the same time that Hornady produced the 275 gr 35 cal bullet.By the start of WW2 most had lost interest in the 35 G&H mag and no one was making them. Hornady stopped production of that bullet around the same time. A little too much of a coinsidence ?? I found referrence of 3 factory loads for the 35 G&H A 220 gr bullet @ 3120 fps (that would be messy ) a 250 gr @ 2700 fps and a 275 gr @ 2440 fps. I suspect the 275 gr slugs would have been used in the 35 Whelan and the 35 Win on big bears and such

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Col. Whelen used that bullet in his 35 Whelen.

I think he took a grizzly with it.

Better bullets today, but no reason not to use them; especially elk on down.

The GandH 350 was loaded with Western Tool, 275 grain bullets. I think that cartridge was gone by the time Hornady came along.

The VO at Griffin and Howe told me they do not know how many 350 GH were made by GH, but he said it was probably less than 50 no more than 100.

They should work better than a current 250 grain corloct which is now just the Hornady Interlock.

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
I see that a very old Hornady loading manual lists some loads for the Hornady 275 gr 35 cal bullet in the 35 Whelan. There are no loads listed for that bullet in the 35 Rem. I doubt that bullet was ever intended for the 35 Rem. It may also have been used in the old 9x57 mauser. It may also have been used in the 35 Newton but not a lot of those around
You echoed my thought in the 35 Remington. I shoot 200 grains in my Marlin. 220 grains seem to seat deep enough to cut powder capacity with out compression. I have never bothered with a 250 or 275 as I am willing to bet that velocity will be so low that there is zero expansion and the traqectory of a thrown softball, not that the 35 Remington with a round nose is a long range shooter anyway.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote