Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Superformance
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Has anyone tried these new loads and chrono'd them against their handloads or is this just marketing hype? I compared their 30-06 velocity figures against some loading manual data and what I have personally done and don't see any significant difference. Any users here?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
That powder is so new no one has had a chance to really do hardly ANY load workups. Give it time and do some load workup yourself and post the data to get things rolling. Cool Big Grin

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend says they are about 90 FPS faster than his 165gn handloads.I shot a few groups with it last week and out of his Sauer 30/06 it averaged around an inch and a bit, but recoil was quite stout and the muzzle blast from his 22" barrel certainly got everyones attention! Compared to his sum minute handloads even he thought the extra recoil and muzzle blast was not worth the extra 90 FPS.
For the record over a chrono, the Hornady 165 load averaged 2840 fps and his handloads with Sierra 165 gameking average 2750
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hornady Superformance

I compared it to my 165g .06 interlock reload and it was slightly faster and no noticeable difference in recoil for me nor in muzzle blast.
My load runs 2880 with a very very small deviation while the Super performance ran about 2950ish. Grouped about MOA in my rifle which is great but the above mentioned reload is constantly under .75 MOA and averages .652.
If I wasnt reloading I wouldnt turn away from the factory stuff for sure. Remember the comparison has to be made in same length barrel to get the factory quotes (and likely same bullet and seating depth ect..)
My 2 cents

Romey

Posts: 34 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
This is kind of what I thought. I don't load for anything that I need an extra 70fps. Was just curious if the '100-200fps" claims were working out.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I think the 100-200 fps cliam is for factory loads.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SP load claims are over standard advertised speeds, AND in hunting length barrels

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38611 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote