New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon 650 or 550?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im tired of using the rock chucker for reloading hand gun ammunition. so.... what do you guys like best 550 or 650 dillon? I will be loading 45ACP 500-600 a month and soon (with saturdays off...hopefully) begin shooting more uspsa and need 500-700 a week for 40 SW. so whats your opinion. and the easiest to caliber convert? Thanks

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
10 years ago, I went with a Lee but wish I had bought the 650. I don't have complaints with the Lee (other than speed) but I bought it becuse I could do 2 calibers for the price of one. The 650 has case feed and powder check options I'd like to have. For the little more that the 650 runs over the 550 I'd get the 650 even if I had to wait for the options.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it about boils down to whether or not you intend to use a case feeder. The 650 is designed right out the box to use a casefeeder and is really hamstrung without one. It definately is faster with case feeder then a 550 but if its going to be your only press a 550 with manual index is nice as you can use it as a single stage press when you need to.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both (as well as a shiney new 1050 that I am still setting up) Both will produce quality ammunition. The 650 is about twice as fast as the 550 (don't buy it without the casefeeder). Caliber conversion is modestly easier on the 550 but the best bet is to get enough brass that you can load in quantity.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bradhe:
I have both (as well as a shiney new 1050 that I am still setting up) Both will produce quality ammunition. The 650 is about twice as fast as the 550 (don't buy it without the casefeeder). Caliber conversion is modestly easier on the 550 but the best bet is to get enough brass that you can load in quantity.

I also have both. I did buy the 650 w/o case feeder, moneyt is tight. It runs fine w/o one, but certainly is slower. The 550 is the way to go for multiple calibers, I load 11 on it. The 650 is best for one or two. The change over on the 550B is cheaper & easier. So 450/hr on the 550B coasting & 600 on the 650 even w/o the case feeder. Hamsttrung, not teally, just have to refill the case tube every 12 pulls or so. Wink

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Go with the XL650. Since I bought mine, I have greatly increased my ammo needs. Fast volume production of ammo seems to make one shoot (much) more...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KISS! Errm not I'm not "that way" but just saying "keep it simple stupid"...

A friend has a commercial shooting range here in UK and has both Dillon 550 and 650 machines. For his commercial use he uses the 550 as the change is quicker.

More importantly he finds that it is just as "handy" for short runs of ammunition when he has an odd half hour spare as when he has two hours spare.

The 650 isn't used much at all in fact but when it is it is run maybe straight through to produce a thousand rounds. And it stays set up in just ONE calibre.

So for what it's worth he seems to favour the 550 which he has three of and about ten "heads" and ALL of which he sticks with the standard manual feed.

Why? Because it gives him a quick visual check on any problems with the cartridge case and he can "elect" to load multiples of fifty rounds all with the same headstamp more easily.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
KISS! Errm not I'm not "that way" but just saying "keep it simple stupid"...

A friend has a commercial shooting range here in UK and has both Dillon 550 and 650 machines. For his commercial use he uses the 550 as the change is quicker.

More importantly he finds that it is just as "handy" for short runs of ammunition when he has an odd half hour spare as when he has two hours spare.

The 650 isn't used much at all in fact but when it is it is run maybe straight through to produce a thousand rounds. And it stays set up in just ONE calibre.

So for what it's worth he seems to favour the 550 which he has three of and about ten "heads" and ALL of which he sticks with the standard manual feed.

Why? Because it gives him a quick visual check on any problems with the cartridge case and he can "elect" to load multiples of fifty rounds all with the same headstamp more easily.

I have to agree, the 550B is more user friendly & not slow by any measure. If you load a lot of one caliber, the 650 is certainly worth the cost, but if you want one machine to do everything, IMO, owning both, the 550B will serve you better.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I told my friend that I had mentioned what he uses he added that if you get a primer that fails to "pop" from a case in the 550 it is a lot easier to deal with than if you have the same in a 650!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady LnL Ap -- all the features (and add ons) of the 650 at the cost of the 550

and better depriming/spent primer capture

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote