THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What do I need to start reloading accurate ammo?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to start reloading accurate ammo?
 Login/Join

<I Need Guns>
posted
I'm thinking of starting reloading for a 243. I'm woundering what I need to get started and which things achaly improve accursy. I'm thinking of geting the Lee 35th anniversury kit which includes: Challenger Press, the Perfect Powder Measure, Safety Scale, Powder Funnel, Powder Data Manual, Inside/Outside Case Mouth Chamfer Tool, Auto Prime Tool, Universal Shellholder Set (set of 10), Primer Pocket Cleaner and Case Lube. For dies I don't know whether to go with Lee collet dies or redding. People allways say good things about reeding, but I'd like to hear from a perosn who has tryed both types of dies. What eles should I get?

[This message has been edited by I Need Guns (edited 03-13-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the addiction of Reloading. The Lee Kit is ok and will get you through your initial learning humps. Its priced right and has most of everything you'll need except an odd and end or two.

First thing to buy before you get the kit is to buy a manual from one of the Bullet Companies. Get a Sierra or Hornady or Speer or any of the others. Preferably a couple different ones. And read those first before you ever plop down for the kit. Those books will answer most all questions that you'll have. The guy on this forum can and will answer the rest.

For dies; I preferr Redding first then RCBS second. To start out with just buy the Regular Full Length Sizing set. Try to steer clear of the 'exotic' stuff till you get the basics down. You have to walk before you can run.

..... Good luck and your gonna love this

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ING

What you've listed is a good start. You will also need/should have:

-Lee Auto-prime shellholder for 243
-case trim tool
-impact puller
-dial calipers
-bullets, powder, primers

I suggest:

-243 lee collet die set (assuming you already have fireformed cases)
-Speer manual

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to start a war, but I would recommend you shell out the extra and get RCBS equipment. I have used some Lee equipment but for the major things like your press I would recommend RCBS even if it means buying used.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guns, Welcome to the reloading world. I am fairly new to rifle reloading but I have a couple of friends that have been reloading for quiet some time. Neither of them are too worried about accuracy, they just like throwing lead at cans and milk jugs. One has a Lee loader, the other has a RCBS Rock Chucker. I have to say that the Rock Chucker is a Cadillac compared to the Lee.(IMO) I know it's like $200.00 more than the Lee but it is built to last a lifetime. If it breaks RCBS will fix it FREE,,, FOREVER.
After reading about a zillion articles on reloding and buying a couple of manuals I bought the RC and have been more than pleased. Problem is now i've been bitten by the accuracy bug. I never dreamed you could get a plain 'ol store bought hunting rifle to put 5 shots thru almost 1 hole at 100yds. With factory ammo the best my 7mm Rem Mag would shoot was 1.5-2 MOA, 30-06 and 270 Win was 1-1.5 MOA. A few lbs of powder and several hundred bullets later, the 7mm Mag and 270 Win are 1 hole'ers , 30-06 is .5 MOA.
Sorry for getting off course but its exciting when "YOU" can make a bullet that will hit where it's supposed to everytime.
One more thing, listen to what most of the folks in here have to say as you can get some primo advice and save yourself a lot of money, time and headaches, but always do your homework to make sure you are staying within the bounds of safety. Good luck!
*Nut*

------------------
If guns are outlawed, Only outlaws will have guns.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
If all you have is the money for an Anniversary Kit, then by all means get one. When I was a reporter back in Mexico, Mo., the $70 I plunked down at Graf&Sons there in Mexico was a heck of a lot of money for me. They are good and will last you for several years until you are ready to get into something better. I started out with one of the Lee Handloaders, the kind you use a mallet with, and then progressed to an Anniversary Kit and now I have a Lyman Orange Crusher kit I got from Cabela's. The darn thing turns out good ammo and I gave the Lee to an Undersheriff friend that wanted to get started in reloading. I might also add, if you can afford it, get some good dial calipers. Just a suggestion ... Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
I Need Guns,

How do you like your Savage?
What really produces "accurate" ammo is consistency within ammo itself, plus that your rifle likes the load combination.

Lee stuff will be good enough, so are RCBS stuff, IMO anything more expensive is overkill for now. For consistency's sake, these are must-haves :

Manual(no need to explain)
Dial caliper(consistent case length)
Powder Scale(consistent powder charge)
Case trimmer(consistent case length)
Case mouth chamfering tool(uniform neck release/tension)

These will enhence accuracy in any load but is optional :

Flashhole inside deburring tool(consistent ignition)
Neck turner(consistent bullet release/alignment)

I would advise you not to use Lee collet die as your first die(even Lee says so) because it is of an unconventional design, regular dies gives you an idea how things work and can be as accurate. Your rifle will not like every load even if it's very consistent, don't get frustrated. When you succeeded in producing some tight groups, remember to tell us the story.

Oh, did I mention a box of Acraglass for the rifle?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the love/hate world of reloading. There is a world of knowledge here and these guys will answer any off the wall question you throw at them.
I have used an assortment of reloading products over the years, different presses and priming tools. For most calibers I think a Lee press is OK. For some larger calibers where more force is needed to resize the case, you may do well to invest in a RCBS or Lyman press. I have broken Lee presses before, they seem to be made from pot metal. But Lee has always replaced them.
The above post are pretty comprehensive. If at all possible invest in good calipers. Also a cordless drill or screwdriver really makes case prep a great deal easier.
Have fun and good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
crowrifle,

sorry to be thick, but what do you use the cordless drill/screwdriver for?? You indicate case prep... But which part of case prep?? I just want to make sure I don't miss out on an obvious trick...

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho, I use 2 variable speed drills for case trimming, chamfer / deburring, flash hole deburring and primer pocket brushing. I have my drills mounted in a stands next to each other and set them for a very slow speed, insert the proper tools and get after it. Makes short work of case prep. You have to be careful that the drill is not turning to fast or you can damage your cases.
Hope this helps, *Nut*

------------------
If guns are outlawed, Only outlaws will have guns.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also get some good deals on used equipment on eBay. I have picked up alot of stuff there.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<duck223>
posted
I have the lee anniversary kit,like it a lot.I also invested in the locking rings,one shot spray,makes lubing easier,primer pocket uniformer,zip trim,and so on.But right now I only load up to the 7.62x54r.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Hey you got the .243 and not a puny .223. Good.

Get the RCBS stuff. The Lee product is very cheap. It may work but you won't be using it if you really get into handloading.

I have a RCBS A-2 and a lot of Sinclars stuff plus stuff my dad made for me.

Don't get auto primer feeders-good grief.