Find
Notify
Tools

Starting point for an AR 15 varmint rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Going to be doing some loading for a RRA 20" varmint rifle with a 1 in 8" twist. I have never loaded for the AR nor have I ever loaded for a 22 cal in a 1 in 8.

Rifle will be used for punching paper, coon coyote size varmints and occasional 100# hogs.

I was thinking something in the 60+ grain classs.

Experiences and suggestions welcome?? Already looking on AR15.com but most of their info is for surplus.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Get some Sierra 69 g. HPBT match bullets and some Varget. Work up your load and you are off to the races. You can start around 23 g. and go up to 26g. or so. Also AA 2520 is a good powder. Load to magazine length.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of good loads for the 69gr, SMK. I use WW748 at about 25 grains or so. Work up. With your 1 in 8 twist you should be able to go up to 77 or 80 grain bullets.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you are going to punch paper for competition, go with the MK's. if you are going to hunt animals up to 100#'s, go with a 64gr winchester PP. if the animal is smaller or SHTF ammo a 55gr PSP would be adequate and less expensive. for awhile, one could get AA2230C for $58/8# keg. accuracy from my 22" krieger barreled upper with 55gr psp and AA2230C was sub-MOA with 5 shots.

if you are looking for magazines, go to globaltactical.com. if you are in the market for a tactical sling, i have what you need. check out my web site at www.rts-manufacturing.com. if you don't see a sling, i can custom make one. if interested, email me.

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like reloader 15 start about 24 grains Federal match primer 69 grain sierra match Fed or Lake City cases 2.230 O.A.L Out of my Armalite National Match I'm getting 1/2" or less at 100 yards.

Posts: 27 | Location: Southern Iowa | Registered: 30 September 2006Reply With Quote