Find
Notify
Tools

GS Bullets - Load Data?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted
I'm thinking about trying some of Gerard's bullets in .260 Rem.(110 HV) and 7-08 (130 HV). Has anybody had any experience with these combo's? Performance on game? What loading data do I use? Would it be similar to the data for a Barnes X?
Thanx,
R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I just got some 130 grain HV for the 7 rem, I was wondering if anyone had data on this as well?

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

<Shotone>
posted
GS Custom has a little data for your .260, but not the 7-08.

http://gunlinks.zibycom.com/members/002245268/Site2/260rem.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Normally you can go a bit beyond the book max with the HV bullets, but work up to it as you would with any load..They do build up less pressure than BarnesX or conventional bullets in most barrels, but nothing is a given in handloading.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Bill, I had very good success with RL19 and 210's in my 7mag with 130's. I just added powder until my neck sized cases started getting sticky, and backed off a couple grains. Holes touching. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Shotone -
Interesting. I checked out the 260 loads at the link you mentioned. They insist on magnum primers. I wonder why that is?

Gerard??

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
R-west, I suspect it has to do with the fact that the HV's have very little (comparatively) when they engrave. It is my understanding that it takes about 8-10,000 PSI to shove a standard bullet into a barrel. With the softer copper, and the driving bands, this number should be much lower in the HV's.

Since smokeless powder burning rate increases with pressure, an easily engraving bullet would retard the rise of the pressure curve. The magnum primer would counter-act this.

All that is just "hypothesisation" on my part, however. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Dutch -
Sounds good to me!!

I have an e-mail in to Gerard, maybe he can shed some light.

R-WEST

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,
Sorry about the long absence, we had a very nice trip up the west coast of SA and internet access was not good. Also had my laptop crash with hardware trouble. I kindly received a loan unit from Hewlett Packard. They are a good company to deal with. E-mail is backlogged about 15 days and I am not sure all was retrieved from the busted computer. We may know when it comes back from repair.

The reason why we recommend a magnum primer is largely as Dutch put it. We tested this factor at the Somchem Ballistic lab and comparing the rise of the pressure curve with a standard primer with that of a magnum primer, it was clear that it was a lot smoother with the magnum primer. The pressure peaked a bit later in the bore with a magnum primer as well.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

[This message has been edited by Gerard (edited 02-06-2002).]