New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt 230 gr LRN loads?
 Login/Join

Picture of CTI1USNRET
posted
Do you have any loads for 45 Colt using 230 gr LRN bullets using: Bullseye, Unique, W231, or Blue Dot?

To be used for plinking or maybe SD.

Posts: 69 | Location: The Monadnocks | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't, but I shoot 240 and 255 grain cast bullets in my 45C over 9.0 grains of unique.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
If those bullets are sized .451 or .452 you'll get a bunch of leading. If those bullets are swaged you'll really get leading.
Start with 5 grains of Bullseye, or 7.5 grains of Unique.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've loaded 230g RN cast bullets using Bullseye and Unique in a couple of OM Vaqueros with no problems and good accuracy. Leading was very limited.

A lot of that depends on the dimensions of the bullets, cylinders and barrel. My bullets were cast by a local guy and were oversized for that profile which is commonly used, as you know, in 45ACP.

Load up 20 or so and see how they shoot and see if they lead badly. Try'm and see.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ahh. .452 is nominal for 45 colt.

I doubt use less than half case powders in mine

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CTI1USNRET:
Do you have any loads for 45 Colt using 230 gr LRN bullets using: Bullseye, Unique, W231, or Blue Dot?

To be used for plinking or maybe SD.

This is where the Lee manual shines. It has loads for bullets uncommon for the caliber.

It shows HP-38, same as your W231, using a range of 5.8-7.3g. Judging from the numbers, I would rate 6.0g at about 800 fps, which should be adequate for accuracy. Test if you can.

OAL shown is 1.580

Posts: 6 | Location: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
What are you shooting it from? If your gun has a stronger action like the blackhawk there are higher powered loads that you may want for self defense. Personally I use AA#7 with my 230 lrn in .45 Colt using that data.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't you own a loading manual? Plenty of loads in those. I use 7 grains of unique for a light 45lc load. Use black powder to see what shooting 45 was really like in the old days. Doesn't matter how much as long as you can seat the bullet; fill the case full.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of CTI1USNRET
posted Hide Post
I'm the OP.

I have a blue, old model 4¾" Vaquero so it can take +P loads. I've reamed the chambers to .4525, and fire lapped them. I never get leading. Everything is SMOOTH.

I have buckets of 230 gr LRN.

I use Unique in my 1911 and want to use the same bullets in my 45 Colt, pushing them to about 950 fps.

Posts: 69 | Location: The Monadnocks | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CTI1USNRET:
I'm the OP.

I have a blue, old model 4¾" Vaquero so it can take +P loads. I've reamed the chambers to .4525, and fire lapped them. I never get leading. Everything is SMOOTH.

I have buckets of 230 gr LRN.

I use Unique in my 1911 and want to use the same bullets in my 45 Colt, pushing them to about 950 fps.

I have been shooting 230 gr Ranier copper "plated" round noses in my .45 acp and .45 Colt as of late. In the .45 Colt...I used 8 gr of Unique...which gave me ~900 fps in a Ruger Blackhawk made in early 80's, 4 1/2" barrel...but...I had to use Tula large pistol "MAGNUM" primers as that is all I can buy right now. It is a fairly mild shooting load.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been loading the Lee 230gr round nose over 10gr of Unique to shoot from my Ruger black hawk, Bisley, and Rossi R92 lever action. It shoots well from all three. I ran out of 255gr Keith style bullets that I cast and had a bunch of the 230grs laying around. I kept the charge weight the same as the 255gr and loaded them up. Surprised me at how accurate they shot.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For years I've loaded .45 colt with 6.5 grains of Unique behind a 230 grain cast RN bullet. I've also upped it to 8.0 grains. Both are a very nice plinking load. I shoot them out of a 1959 Colt Single Action Army revolver, and will also try them (6.5 grain first!) out of my new Cimarron Arms model 1892 when it comes.

Posts: 26 | Location: UPSTATE New York | Registered: 03 September 2013Reply With Quote