New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Speed Camera for Bullet Pics?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know what equipment would be needed to take high speed pictures of bullets? Approximate cost? A good supplier? I know I probably need something in the 1000 frames per second speed, but have no idea what I really need. Thanks for any help!

Posts: 117 | Location: Newark, Oh, USA | Registered: 14 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you better have deep pockets! [Eek!]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I took this photo with a Vivitar Vivicam 10, which I got from Walmart for 49.95, plus tax...

-

[Big Grin]

Just kidding... A fellow forum member, Turok shared this site with me. Here's the link:
http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Bremse/Muendungswolke/Muendungswolke.html

Enjoy!

Dan

<t_bob38>
posted
Are you talking about motion pictures or still photos? I often visited Doc Edgerton's lab where early high speed still photos were taken. For that you need a good camera, a highspeed strobe light and a triggering device.

posted Hide Post
Almost any decent strobe will stop a bullet-- what you need is a couple of fine wires stretched in front of the barrel. as soon as the bullet touches them, it completes the circuit and fires the strobe. Of course you'll have to anchor the muzzle down so the bullet path won't wander too far from the wires and you may have to take several shots to get the picture you want.

Posts: 24 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although video would be really cool, I doubt that I can afford it, it is just a hobby after all. What I'm really trying to accomplish is getting pictures of bullets passing through gelatin, apples, melons etc. I would like to get pictures before, during and after the bullet hits the target. A bullet coming out of a barrel really doesn't interest me. I'm more interrested in what happens to the bullet after it hits the target.

Posts: 117 | Location: Newark, Oh, USA | Registered: 14 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Do a search on google.

Go to amazon.com and begin searching "ultra high-speed photography", look for textbooks as these will tell you "how to".

You are correct in the cost of video. I telephoned a company just for kicks and was quoted ~$20,000.00 for a video capture system capable of taking slow motion digital pics of bullets ect. You can lease for ~$2,000.00 per week. If you want to go really fast you'll need a rotating mirror camera...up to 3 million frames per second.
You can get ultra high-speed cameras and film cameras from the gub'mint but you'll have to know how to rebuild them.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your help! It appears that I'm going to have to either find a cheaper hobby or find a way to get a research grant from Gov't. If I had $20,000 grand to spend I think it would be better spend on a nice hunt. Again, thanks

<bullpup>
posted
Then try it here:
http://www.zurzzeit.de

Photo above ist also made with one of those
cameras.
And interesting other photos and movies on the
page, too.

<JBelk>
posted
M1rage---

It's fairly easy to do. All you need is a strobe, any camera with a "B" setting (time exposure) and some rather innovative circuitry.

Using microswitches or simple screen wire and a control box that fires the strobe either when a circuit is broken or completed, depending on how you set it up, the only other thing you need is a TOTALLY dark space where the picture is taken.

The camera is set on B and the gun fired. When the circuit is completed to the strobe it fires and the only image recorded on the film is the one at the instant of the strobe.

I haven't done it in 40 years, but I got some really NEAT pictures of an exploding Citron (wild melon of the south) hit with a 303 British. I used a refridgerator box layed horizonal and painted black inside with a stand for the melon.
The trigger was a piece of door screen layed on top of the melon for one side of the circuit and a wire through the top of the box as the other. When the melon blew it threw the screen against the wire and fired the strobe I'd borrowed from my eigth grade science teacher.

Be SURE to use a piece of pexiglass in front of your camera. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Derald:
Almost any decent strobe will stop a bullet-- what you need is a couple of fine wires stretched in front of the barrel. as soon as the bullet touches them, it completes the circuit and fires the strobe.

Why not rig up a microphone as the device to trigger the strobe? That way, you can adjust the time that the strobe fires by moving the microphone closer to or farther away from the muzzle?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
It is much easier to use a laser trigger with attached timer (~$1,200.00).

I went into this a bit deep. I corresponded with a professor at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York regarding this. This is what he teaches. Industrial photography with stills, film, and digital. In his first semester he teaches the students how to build their cameras to take Schlerer photos.

I threw him $20.00 and kind words, he sent me his syllabus and all his handouts for his class. [Smile] All I have to do is buy the two books he recommended and have the time to read them, I will be good to go. After school (yawn).

[ 03-10-2003, 05:31: Message edited by: Roger Rothschild ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me correct bullpup's typo - it's

www.kurzzeit.de

and well worth a visit.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See my posting on the Technology forum.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote