Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady L-N-L AP questions
 Login/Join

posted
I can barely reload 200 rounds of .223 before I have to futz with the L-N-L. Either the timing is off, the primer feeder has to be adjusted or the shell plate has to be snugged down. Also the powder feed fluctuates .3 grains. Is this normal??

Evil prevails when good people don't step up. God grant me strength and courage.

Posts: 11 | Location: The free state of Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
no ..
buff the top leading edge (arc) of the primer feed .. and tweek the stroke on it .. should be set and forget

if you have to adjust the timing constantly, please look on youtube for adjusting the lnl .. i spent some time,like less than 100 rounds, getting the timing just perfect, and havent had to adjust since

i keep my shellplates barely past hand tight ... so when i change primers, i check it .. no issues

powder -- the worst flucuations i have are when i am not consistent on my priming stroke .. everything has to be fairly close to the same .. .3 is more than i see

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Being fairly new to reloading I was starting to think that the constant futzing was normal. I'm glad it's not. I may trade the l-n-l for a dillon. My cheap Lee hand primer works better than the LNL auto feed. WTF?

Evil prevails when good people don't step up. God grant me strength and courage.

Posts: 11 | Location: The free state of Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bravo -- I've done a lot of research into the L N L. I had a Dillon 550. It was was really damn good. But I will be replacing mine with a L N L real soon.

Most owners complain about the directions, PITA initial setup, but then have nothing but tu2 to say afterward.

Can't go wrong with either, but make sure you have yours set up correctly before moving on.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bravo,
look at the videos on youtube .. you'll get the timing figured out quick. the primer system isn't my favorite.. and KEEP IT CLEAN .. 2 grains of powder will lock the primer seater ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't done any .223 on mine yet but have done a few k pistol rounds. First, get the timing dialed in, not very hard to do, a little adjust goes a long ways. Once I had it set I have not had to adjust it since. Second really clean the powder measure, total disassemble and clean in good solvent (watch paint and plastic) or hot soap and water. Static is a pain with this measure, for some reason. If you are using a ball powder like AA2230 you should be able to keep them within a tenth or two. Stick powders just don't measure as well. Be consistent and don't ever try to force things if they don't feel right. Hope this helps.
C.G.B.
C.G.B.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I've got the timing dialed in and have polished the primer slide. Soon as I get some h335 I'll see if there's any improvement. I did speak to Hornady. They said that RL-15 is a short grain extruded powder. Sometimes a grain has to get cut and that compresses the load. Does that make sense to anybody? Thinking about how the powder measure works I'm not so sure.