New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcan Primers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought some Alcan primers for $9 a thousand, I got small pistol, small rifle, large rifle, and magnum rifle. What do you guys think about them?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I was given 250/300 Alcan shotgun primers back in the mid 70s and as I remember they worked fine. Thats all the experiance I`ve had with them. I haven`t seen them them in years for sale, are these still being made?

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never used or seen Alcan primers, but I seem to remember that the first edition of Hornady's loading manual listed Alcan as the primer used in some of their loads.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Alcan primers were sold heavily in the mid-1960s. Most were made in Italy, but not all of them. As I recall, they tended to be a little bit "hot."

So, in essence, you have some very old primers. Use them for plinking loads if you have some assurance they've been stored under cool, dry conditions --at least, that's what I personally would do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought them from a gunshop going out of business, the boxs look mint, they were stored in climate controlled building. The ones I have used have worked great, I used some in my .257 robert's, and got some groups under 1" at 100yds.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just looked close at the boxes, and it says made in USA, and S&W Ammunition Company Alton, Ill