New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hangfire /300H&H ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I started loading the 300H&H today for the first time on a new to me/old rifle.I used H414-54gr. & cci 200 primer with a 200Gr.SAF bullet.I got 4 hangfires out of 20rounds fired.Is my primer the problem or can it be my fireing pin is weak?My hodgedon manual gave the load with a WLR primer not a WLRM.....I didnt have the WLR but thought the CCI 200 is the equal/right?Also do i run a risk of ringing the barrel of this rifle with these hangfire loads and how can you tell if the barrel is already rung killpc?Iam bumfuzzeled bewilderedAny help is greatly appreciated! thumbThanks in advance! salute

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The first thing that I check is the depth of the firing pin indentation, does it look right?

If I think that there is any indication of a light pin strike, I pull the bolt apart and check that it is clean and that there is no build up of gunk slowing down or cushioning the firing pin strike. It's a real good time to change out the firing pin spring in older rifles.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The indent looks pretty normal but i have never fired this rifle before.I was wondering if my load looked normal bewildered.First thing i thought was the crazy primer should have been a magnum but iam not familer with the h414 powder in a 300H&H and really cant figure why the cci200 isnt lighting the charge troll.I have had the awfulliest time rounding up brass and getting these rounds loaded.The shots were hitting high then low and i keep adjusting the irons and finally just got so close i could spit on the target and had two hangfires back to back.I quit right then hammering.I think i will regroup on the 300H&H for a while CRYBABY.Your right ...now is the best time to find out a load or fireing pin has trouble,we still got 5-6weeks untill opening day whitetail season! thumbThanks for the help! beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seating primers too hard, contamination on primers from fingers, Primers not fully seated, Weak mainspring, broken firing pin, excessive headspace and hard grease or crud in the bolt. Just some of the reasons.
Never and I mean never, spray WD 40 in the bolt. The very quickest way to mess up a gun. It can't be washed out and has to be scraped out. The firing pin and bolt should only have a very light coat of quality gun oil that does not harden in cold weather. Or a light coat of dry moly.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the sound of the poor accuracy, I put the blame on the firing pin hanging up or the gun was stored cocked and the spring is weak.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good advice, but I think stick powders like IMR 4831 are best in the 300 H&H. If you're after speed with heavy bullets, try IMR 7828SSC. A ball powder like H414 needs a little more spark for reliable ignition, so I don't think it's your best choice. A little hotter than the various 4350s, I use H414 in the -06 with lighter bullets and am pleased with the result, but I load it hot and with F215s.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The load you are using is very mild. As others pointed out, there are much better suited powders for the H&H. I like RL-22, IMR 4350 and H-4831. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A simple barrel damage check can be made with a good cleaning rod. Afetr cleaning the barrel thouroughly run a tight, lubed patch from breach to muzzle. If there are any loose spots (read uneven resistance) that is reason for concern. If it is a smooth push from end to end, I see no reason for concern.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
All good advice, but I think stick powders like IMR 4831 are best in the 300 H&H. If you're after speed with heavy bullets, try IMR 7828SSC. A ball powder like H414 needs a little more spark for reliable ignition, so I don't think it's your best choice. A little hotter than the various 4350s, I use H414 in the -06 with lighter bullets and am pleased with the result, but I load it hot and with F215s.

I throw in with Buckshot on this one. The funneling effect of the tappered case and mild shoulder may also contribute to the problem. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the help! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a magnum primer and see if the same thing happens. I load for 4 of the 300 H&H rifles and have never had that problem.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote