New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RSUM -vs- 300 WSM
 Login/Join

<bearlake>
posted
Is there any real differance in these two new cartriges as far as case capasity or velocity?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The WSM line has slightly more case capacity. From the factories, there are no practical velocity differances. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
90-100fps according to Nosler #5...so basically NO

I wouldn't lose sleep over choosing [Big Grin]

I have a .270 WSM, but if a .270 SAUM came out first I wouldn't have been upset!!
Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ready_on_the_right; have you done much reloading of your 270wsm yet? If so, what kind of results have you gotten?
TIA,
MM

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
I'm thinking of getting a 7mm SAUM in a savage with a 24" barrel. What is the recoil like on the short mags?

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
If you look closely at the Nosler #5 you will see that they tested/developed loads for the Win with a 26" tube and the Rem with a 24 incher. That being the situation it appears that the Remington is slightly more efficient. I was surprised by this given the case dimension and called Nosler to discuss.
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting, Dave. What did Nosler have to say about it?

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The WSM calibers don't fit the Remington model 7 magazine. So Remington will load WSM calibers as ammo, but you can't buy a Remington rifle chambered for a WSM cartridge.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
The WSM calibers don't fit the Remington model 7 magazine. So Remington will load WSM calibers as ammo, but you can't buy a Remington rifle chambered for a WSM cartridge.
Actually, the WSM's do fit in the Rem 7 magazine... all 300 WSM factory ammo is under 2.800" in length.

Brad