New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Lapua Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought some new Lapua brass about a month ago. Have any of you noticed and inconsistency's in the new run? Out of my first 100 I had 21 that won't chamber for their second loading. It's like the case heads are warped. I had noticed that lengths of the new brass varied from .001-.004. I also weighed the whole batch and of the 100 it seemed that about 75 were within about a .1-.2 of a grain but the rest were like 2-3 grains different (Lighter). I also noticed when priming that some of the primers slipped in easy while a few were hard to get in. These are 6.5 x .284 and the fire forming loads were stiff but not out of line. I also noticed that when shooting I could fire 1-8 shots with everything being fine and then the next couple would have ejector marks on the case head. Everything was exactly the same as far as powder weight ect. I was just curious if you think I have a bad batch. Worse part is I have 200 of them. These are shot in a custom XP 100. So out of the first 100 I have 50 that would be considered benchrest quality. Sure would appreciate your thoughts!

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whopper Stopper, I just bought 100 myself! Roll Eyes

I'll do a little recon this evening and let you know what I see. I bought mine from Midway--where did yours come from?

I have 100 from about 2 months ago, and they don't exhibit any of the characteristics you just described, except possibly the weight variance--don't sort by weight.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine came from Midsouth.

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whopper Stopper:
These are 6.5 x .284 and the fire forming loads were stiff but not out of line. WS

Made me wonder.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote