New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blemished bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Myself and shooting buddie order some blemished bullets awhile back both getting about 500 of the 85 gr interbond,they look like new bullets.I also got some in 25 cal and 277 cal which they shoot great with what I have tried at 100 yds both have shot less than 1/2 in groups and some one holers.
Was thinking the 85 gr would be a good deer bullet because they are bonded but shooting them isn't working so far neither of us cannot get them to shoot,he is shooting a 6mm and I a savage mod 16,they just spray.I know its not my rifle in the target you can see how this rifle shoots my favorite load with the sierra 85.And how it sprays the new 85 IB.I have tried 5 different powders so far and my buddie has tried several in his 6mm to no avail.
If anyone else got any of these 243 blemished bullets and getting them to shoot,how about shareing your powder type so we can try it.Don't remember what he has tried but tuesday he was trying H4895 without any sucess.I have tried IMR 4064,H414,3031,DP85 and IMR4831 with no sucess.
Wanted to try these loads in my rem 243 but let a buddie use it for hunt season so have to wait till I get it back to try.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Wow, .. well, have you tried backing your load DOWN 2 grains?

I only shoot blems in bigbores, and those things are so inherently accurate that being a blem doesn't seem to impact groups much

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thru the years I have bought a lot of different blem bullets from Midway, Shooters Pro Shop and others. Now days I only buy blems that have a lead tip or a hollow point configuration. I have found that buying polymer tipped bullets, in lots of cases they are blems because the tips are not secured. End product you have a bullet flying along with the 4 or 5 grain plastic tip rattling around and accuracy goes out the window. You might check yours.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You might want to go back to the accurate powder charge but work on the seating depth for the blems, this may help but with those groups I don't think it will fix it.
If the plastic tip is loose pull it out and see how they shoot!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of interbonds. While I am a big Hornady fan the interbond has been about as inherently accurate as the first scirrocco's from Swift. I'm happy the other ones shot.
I can almost 100% guarantee it has nothing to do with the tips. I'm afraid it's just the way they are and until they figure out a better jacket they will continue to be finicky. I think other posters are right when they say you may find accuracy by starting to reduce powder charges and hopefully finding a sweetspot.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some Nosler 95 grain Partition blems in .243 and cant get them to shoot. Ive tried 4-5 different powders and went threw a 100 bullets and still haven't got a reliable load. I changed brass, primers with no luck. I also bought some 95 Nos BT and they shoot good. For some reason my gun doesn't like the PT.

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i also think your push''em 2 fast. h414 worked cause you hit the sweet spot with that sierra bullet.ladder test are the surest way to show sweet spots.start 3 grains down from max and work up. if your try all different kinds of powder clean your barrel before ever new powder bullet combo to bee shot. myself im not a big fan of h414 but imr 4350,and imr4831 has shot great in my 243 bbr.
i know you can shoot so no punn intended,but your 85gr. interbond is being shot to fast, with all the great powders you and friend have tried i'm sure you over-shot your sweet spots looking for max speed, some times we get lucky there some times we don''t. imr 4831 is also a stellar powder i'm bewildered that one didn''t work. try 43gr. of imr4831....and 41.5 grs of imr 4350 with that 85 hib in a fed case and a br-2 primer,lite kiss the lands.do you or friend weigh your brass? works good on a digital scale....many people mix brass empty or loaded thats another head-scratcher 4 sure... hope i helped.
regards thumb

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of blems from Nosler and they have always worked, there is no reason for blems not to work from a hunting standpoint and they have been as accurate as any other bullets for me...

You probably need to try some different loads, yours may be a tad warm..but some guns just don't like some bullets, blems or not.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellows will give all the sugestions a try.Would like to get them to shoot.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Looks like you found the blemish. The bullets are probably out of balance, even though you can't SEE a problem! Most likely their center of gravity is NOT on the central axis of the bullet.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought over 240 pounds of blems from Lock stock and barrel and from Midsouth. They wanted 20 cents on the dollar for Hornady blems. All shoot perfectly compared to the real thing.

Midway want 70 or 80 cents on the dollar. Screw'em.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i''ll 2nd and 3rd what tnekkcc and atkinson said about blem''s..
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too What Ray said

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote