New
Find
Notify
Tools

which dies
 Login/Join

<jrpilot>
posted
I am looking for a new set of 308win dies. I like RCBS and Redding dies, but was wondering what everyone else prefers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some of them all lyman ,pacifc,RCBS, redding ect I buy Lee dies now.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started out by buying whatever I could find and ended up with Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Pacific and Redding sets.
I'm currently trading up to the Redding in existing calibers and only buy Redding for new calibers.
RCBS would be my second choice.
You would have a hard time giving me any other brand.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
My current preference for dies is a combination of Redding body dies with a Lee collet die. The collet die so I don't have to turn necks, like with a bushing die, the body die so I don't have to drag an expander through the neck. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've also tried just about all of them and now I buy the lee deluxe die set if it's available for that caliber. I really like their collet dies and to be honest, I've never been able to tell any difference in quality of ammo produced by lee dies and that of others, the collet die seems to produce better ammo than anything else I've tried. I even shelved a set of redding dies in favor of lee's in the 7mm stw because the redding's kept giving me dimpled case shoulders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Dillon dies. If they don't make a set for a caliber I reload, then I usually buy RCBS.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
REDDING! Consistently perfect.

<Patrick_D>
posted
Forster. Second choice would be RCBS.

<gone hunting>
posted
Wilson dies for the bench guns, Forster for the varmint guns, Redding or RCBS all the other rifles and Lee for my handguns.
just counted the other day, i was amased that i had 27 differnt sets of dies

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the RCBS X dies, saves me a lot of work...The Reddings are good dies...Fact is most are just fine.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
][/QUOTE]
I have just about all of them and i think they are all pretty good but have been leaning to the lee dies because they have a nice case and they have a shell holder with them plus if you need to crimp cases that is included in some die sets they have. (good shooting)

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
For me, it's a tie: Forster or Redding. Actually, I do favor the Forster's a bit.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<jrpilot>
posted
Thanks for all the great info.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Redding.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Redding!

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
Forster is a very, very good die......