New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusting a Redding Micro seating die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought one of these here while back for one of my rifles and I tried it out a few nights ago for the first time. I followed the instructions in order to get the shell holder to just touch the threaded die body and then back off untill the numbers on the micro are easily visible. When I did this I had to have the upper micro body screwed way out off the scale so to speak in order to not be seating my bullets too deep. However, I just went down to the shop and checked everything over again and I believe that the threaded hex screw that you access through the top of the die was screwed too far down. When I took the die apart and checked the upper portion, this threaded hex was sticking probably 3/16's below. I adjusted it to just about an 1/8 past flush and now when I set up the die according to instructions, I can actually set the mic at zero on the dial and have plenty of adjustment left to work with. I hope this makes sense to you all as its kinda hard to explain. My next question is how do you know where to start as far as the relationship between the hex screw in the top and the micrometer on the upper die body? Trial and error or did I stumble onto it as I mentioned just a few lines earlier?

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
After you find a seating depth for your most favorite load, you then adjust the hex screw to allow a zero setting for the die body and seater portion...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a little difficulty comprehending this. Once you find THE OAL for a particular load, how do you adjust the hex to zero on the micrometer guage? Do you place a correct round in the shell holder and then bring the ram to the fully seated position and then thread the hex until you feel the seating stem just make contact with the bullet? I would like to be able to have the mic set at zero when I'm at my optimum depth.

Posts: 314 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: 08 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how other people do it, but I use a pencil and paper and write down the setting. These days a micrometer seater is not really something I need as I have found all my fav bullets and seating depths.........

Remember that your seating depth is only the same round after round if the case is the same size round after round....headspace and neck length........your COAL may be the same if you use a shorter or longer case, but the seating depth/bearing surface is not.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Cobrajet,

Once you have a round completed at the length you wish to adjust the die to (including the hex screw)

First put the die body where you want it to be so that you can easily see the marked portion.

Second back out the hex screw so it cannot contact the bullet and seat it deeper than desired.

Now place the correct length cartridge into the shell holder and raise the presses ram.

Lastily, with the cartridge in place, carfully lower the hex screw until you think it makes contact with the bullet. Remove cartridge and verify over all length. Repeat as necessary till the bullet is seated a few thousands deeper. Back off on the hex and seat a new bullet at the correct depth. Yes it is a bit trial and error, and if you pay attention to the amount you turn the hex head... it will go easier.

Good luck and good shooting.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Cobrajet, For the Die Sets you do not have the Micrometer for yet, you might want to try converting OCL to ODL and you can save a bit of money. The Precision will be the same as the Micrometer Seating Die if you can read a Caliper.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrajet:
I bought one of these here while back for one of my rifles and I tried it out a few nights ago for the first time. I followed the instructions in order to get the shell holder to just touch the threaded die body and then back off untill the numbers on the micro are easily visible. When I did this I had to have the upper micro body screwed way out off the scale so to speak in order to not be seating my bullets too deep. However, I just went down to the shop and checked everything over again and I believe that the threaded hex screw that you access through the top of the die was screwed too far down. When I took the die apart and checked the upper portion, this threaded hex was sticking probably 3/16's below. I adjusted it to just about an 1/8 past flush and now when I set up the die according to instructions, I can actually set the mic at zero on the dial and have plenty of adjustment left to work with. I hope this makes sense to you all as its kinda hard to explain. My next question is how do you know where to start as far as the relationship between the hex screw in the top and the micrometer on the upper die body? Trial and error or did I stumble onto it as I mentioned just a few lines earlier?

CJ,
You found the answer for a single bullet.
For multiple bullets especially if their lengths and ogives differ a lot you may have to use a compromise setting.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote