New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making Spray Reloading lube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have bought some liquid lanolin (oil) and some grain alcohol (everclear). To make my own spray lube for reloading. There are several formulas on the internet. Does anyone here have a preferred formula.

I was looking at maybe adding glycerine and/or some Carnuba wax.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Why???

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yea, its called RCBS sizing lube

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
WHY IS RIGHT thumbdown

Imperial clap

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use Imperial Wax by itself and mix the everclear with some fruit juice when you get through loading. A small can of wax will last several years unless you reload a whole lot more than most and is quite inexpensive compared to everclear.

Posts: 29 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMPERIAL SIZING WAX.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everclear 190 Proof grain Alcohol ??. For what ??.

Dam man I do believe you've been sippin the spirits !. jumping jumping

WHAT EVER POSSESSED YOU TO DO THIS ???. I'm laughing so hard I can barely type !.

Why oh why would you want to make sizing lube and use Grain Alcohol to boot ???.

rotflmo jumping CRYBABY nilly

Did I mention Mineral spirits which is a WHOLE LOT LESS EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!. beer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
A big tin of hardwood floor wax( not the liquid kind) will last you forever plus a month and be quite inexpensive. Ditto a large rattle-can of silicone spray. I've tried both and both work fine.

Still, as almost everyone else has said, why don't you just use Imperial die wax? It is obviously labelled for its purpose, so your wife probably won't grab it as she might the rattle-can to spray the belt on the treadmill, or the paste wax tin to wax the floor. Just being able to find it instead of having some other member of the family "borrow" it has to be worth something. thumb

Still, I guess a proper application of the Everclear could get your wife to both lube the cases for you and clean them off after sizing.......I know it can induce them to produce children.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
horseOK! One more time with feeling! hilbilyBARDAHL. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Longshot, Looks like you are going to have to try it and then let us know how well it works for you. thumb

That Everclear sure is some fine stuff though. Had a MARINE buddy that I used to Bird Hunt with on his Dad's farm near Monroe, NC. His Dad also made Wine for fun and we "cut it" with a bit of Everclear. Didn't take much sippin to move to a different level of awareness. Big Grin

A few years ago the folks that make "Pam Cooking Spray" had a Pump version. It was a great product and did not blow all over the entire kitchen like the aerosol versions. I just happened to notice the Pumps had disappeard from the grocery shelves and I still had a couple of Pump bottles in reserve. Realized they had decided to quit making it, but it was too late to get any more.

I was looking at the Pump Pam one day and noticed it listed: Canola Oil, Grain Alcohol, etc., in the contents. Aaahha! Obviously more Canola than Alcohol since that was the listing order. Well, 2/3 Canola and 1/3 Everclear make a right fine substitute Pam for the original Pump bottle. I just shake it as I always did and it works great for the skillet. Have not tried it on Cases and probably won't.

Best of luck with yout Testing.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you know that Hornady's Unique case lube will also preserve and waterproof leather (says so right on the container)? You can buy the same stuff in the shoe department: Mink Oil. I bought my Imperial before learning that I already had some: neutral shoe polish.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
kiwi shoe polish - clear

lanolin and isopro makes decent spray lube for doing bulk

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
1: this combination is what is used (methyl, not ethyl) by hornady and dillon)
2: it wil not damage primers from residue (mineral spirits my EYE)
3: its WAY cheaper than hornady spray
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Everclear 190 Proof grain Alcohol ??. For what ??.

Dam man I do believe you've been sippin the spirits !. jumping jumping

WHAT EVER POSSESSED YOU TO DO THIS ???. I'm laughing so hard I can barely type !.

Why oh why would you want to make sizing lube and use Grain Alcohol to boot ???.

rotflmo jumping CRYBABY nilly

Did I mention Mineral spirits which is a WHOLE LOT LESS EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!. beer

476AR,

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents-

If I could only have one type of lube on a desert island it would be a couple cans of Imperial Sizing Wax, I think 2 cans would probably last me 50 years or so.

The issue I have is when using a progressive press, that is when a spray lube really shines IMHO. Put all your cases in an old 1/2 gallon ice cream tub and spray them down, then hold the tub at a 45 degree slant and shake it a bit, all the cases will align and make another pass to lube the case mouths.

I remember reading about mixing the Lee case lube with denatured alcohol to make a spray lube, I suppose if I wanted to be cheap enough that is what I'd probably try first.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I am cheap enough. 1/2 Tube of Lee case lube, I pint of .91% isopropyl alcohol in spray bottle. Shake well each time before using. I don't use this for full length sizing, doesn't provide enough residual for tough jobs, but, for my necksizing, it is perfect to ease the sizing ball drag. I stand the cases up on an aluminum foil (disposable) cookie sheet and spray down on them. I wait a couple of minutes after spraying for them to dry and then run the necksizing on the group. Easier and less messy then a q-tip (for me). It is cheap too. my 2 cents. rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longshot ; Sorry if I hurt your feelings but dam that was just to good to pass up .

Mineral spirits leaves an oily residue naturally it's a commonly used solvent and far better than

alcohol for what your attempting to do NOT to mention WAY LESS EXPENSIVE . ( Check out labels "Petroleum

distillates " which covers a wide variety of products including Naphtha Kerosene Diesel mineral spirits Etc.

If your hung on using alcohol use these and don't Drink them !. Methanol Acetone .

KROIL also works as does Boeshield T 9 EXTREMELY WELL .

It's what I personally use and have for near 20 years now and has yet to fail me on anything I've

used it for .
http://www.boeshield.com/ archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Mineral spirits leaves an oily residue naturally it's a commonly used solvent and far better than

alcohol for what your attempting to do NOT to mention WAY LESS EXPENSIVE .

Look where he calls home. Maybe he distills it himself?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
???????????????? Confused?????????????

Now I have experienced just about everything! rotflmo

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
liquid lanolin (oil) and grain alcohol
How do you pressurize the spray?
You might want to go to Google and key on Ed's Red. I have used their formula for about 10 years. Equal parts of:
"Varsol" or oil base paint thinner
K-1 Kersosene
Dextron 1, 2 or 3

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long, make your spray lube with about 1 part lanoline to five to ten parts of (much less expensive) denatured alcohol. The ratio needed can change a bit due to variations in either component. Experiment! Mixed properly, you will NOT need any additional wax, etc.

Mineral spirits can also work as a diluter/carrier but it drys much slower than alcohol. And M.S. does NOT leave an oily film, at least not of itself.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Spray tins of one shot cost $21.00 at the LGS at the moment.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
let's make certain I am getting this..

its OKAY to use mineral spirits for case lube, even though leaves a oily residue .. and even KROIL? (you are kidding right?) which stays lubed forever, and thereby increases bolt thrust (lubed case, clean chamber, etc) ...

but NOT okay to make exactly what dillon and hornady sell for case lube...

yeah, not sinking in

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple solution for a cheap source of case lube go to a hardware store and get a bottle of wire pulling lube read about it on surplusgun site

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Terms of Solvents ; Mineral spirits / Stoddard solvent leaves a residue of fatty acid !.

The simplest aliphatic compound is methane (CH4). Aliphatics include alkanes (e.g. paraffin hydrocarbons), alkenes (e.g. ethylene) and alkynes (e.g. acetylene). Fatty acids consist of an unbranched aliphatic tail attached to a carboxyl group.

Does any one here reload without wiping down their cartridges after completion ?.

BoeShield leaves a wax residue and I wipe my finished cartridges off with a soft dry cotton cloth

before placing them in storage cases . ( The Wax film is STILL ON THE CARTRIDGES and protects

them from tarnishing for extended periods . In over 20 years of using it on nearly every handgun

cartridge and rifle cartridges from .222 to .375 , Not one single mishap , dented case

,excessive pressure not even a difficult extraction .

You all make whatever concoctions you want , I'll continue using it and if need be fore go that

six pack to pay for it , if money's that tight !!!.
archer

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Doc..
you really are getting your panties in a twist over this ... the guy is only following exactly what dillon sells for the purpose.. use whatever you like and works for you .. but don't get irrate that no-one stands at attention when you demand how they spend their time and effort..

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheap, "dollar store" cooking spray. I lay out about 150 .223s in the broiler pan from my stove, lightly spray, roll 'em around a bit and resize like a crazy man. Then I wash 'em in good, hot, soapy water, rinse profusely and fry 'em on low heat in a thin-bottom stainless skillet until the cracklin' and poppin' stops. They cool in a few minutes and then it's off to the reloadin' bench...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote