New
Find
Notify
Tools

J.C. Higgins shotgun
 Login/Join

<monyhunter>
posted
I have an old J.C. Higgins shotgun (I think that is what it is)

I need to get a new stock for it. I took it out this weekend and the stock started to fall apart. It also has a lot of play where it connects to the gun by the grip.

Is there anyplace I can go to find a nice synthetic stock for this gun??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your J. C. Higgins was marketed by Sears. They have, or at least used to have, an unusually good parts system. First, for a factory replacement, I would try your Sears parts distribution system.

You don't say what action, type, etc your gun is. Sears usually marketed guns made by major U.S. manufacturers, most often Winchester and Savage. If you can identify the manufacturer, there may be a replacement stock available for the manufacturer's similar model.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<monyhunter>
posted
I don't know much at all about shotguns. How would I find out who made it. I do believe you are correct about it being sold by sears.

By the way it is a pump 12 gauge.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Go to my Illustrated Parts Breakdown page and try and find your shotgun.

Forget about going to Sears for gun parts! They dropped that service 1,000 years ago.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<5-shot>
posted
If it is one of the older pumps (30 years or so) it was probably made by High Standard. These were very good guns. Of course High Standard is long out of business. You might try the Gun Parts Co. (Old Numerich Arms) -- sorry I don't have their address.

Good Shooting
Bill C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even if Sears still had the parts, they would only sell them to licensed gunsmiths. I learned than one the hard way.
Gun Parts Corp. has a lot of stuff for Sears guns.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sears marketed the Winchester 1200 as a J. C. Higgins at one time. It should be pretty easy to tell if your gun is a Winchester just by comparing it to old catalog pictures. A Winchester 1200 stock won't be hard to come by.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote