Find
Notify
Tools

Loading for the 257R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
Anyone have a special recipe they would be willing to share for loadin the 257 Roberts? I’m more interested in bullet selection than anything else really. BUT the whole kit n caboodle would be nice too Wink

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had and still have a couple 257 Roberts. Never seen one that didn't shoot 100 gr Sierras into tiny little groups. They work on everything I've used them on up to whitetail. The 117 gr Hornady is also very accurate and might be a better choice for deer.Powder in the IMR 4350 and W760 burning speed are hard to beat. Be aware that +p brass is made heavier and will generate higher pressures than std brass with the same load. Your max load with +p brass will be a grain or two less

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good luck getting sierras anythings.

the speer 100gr. boat tail works good at the bob's speed.
so does the Hornady 120gr hollow point.
both do fine on top of rl-19 or 4831.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
I've had and still have a couple 257 Roberts. Never seen one that didn't shoot 100 gr Sierras into tiny little groups. They work on everything I've used them on up to whitetail. The 117 gr Hornady is also very accurate and might be a better choice for deer.Powder in the IMR 4350 and W760 burning speed are hard to beat. Be aware that +p brass is made heavier and will generate higher pressures than std brass with the same load. Your max load with +p brass will be a grain or two less

The brass is the same. +P indicates a higher load pressure.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:

The brass is the same. +P indicates a higher load pressure.

Not in my experience - i don't have my loadbooks before me, but I found out, though not too hard, that the same loads in +P produced much higher pressure - then i weighed the cases, and the cases were several (i don't recall how many) more grains than the regular -- brass is decidedly not the same internal

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just went a weighed some cases. Winchester 257 Roberts brass weigh 162-163 grs. I have a couple hundred and checked a half dozen randomly. All were in the 162-163 grs. Next I checked Winchester brand +P 257 Roberts brass. They all weighed in the 173-175 gr range. I also weighed some Remington 257 brass and they were all in the 175 gr range or very close to the Win +P brass. I have several manuals that reference to heavier cases having less internal capacity. Rule of thumb for every 10 grs heavier a case is the internal capacity is reduced by 1 gr of powder. So that would make my +P brass max loads about 1 1/2 grs less than regular 257 brass

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts. It likes 87 grain Sierras over 40.2 grains of Varget. Sub one inch. I bought a bag of primed brass so I do not know what primers. Brass is R-P. Great accurate load for the Grands. Kills our little whitetails and pigs just fine! Short, light, goes to the country with me lots of time.

Posts: 702 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a strange load maybe for the 257 Bob but here goes.

120 NP, 48 gr RL22(start lower), Fed 210 primers, R-P Nickel brass, 2.82 OAL 2822FPS out of a 22 inch barrel. Amazing penetration. I've tried a heavier load but accuracy decreases dramatically.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start first by buying some good brass and bullets! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Start first by buying some good brass and bullets! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Hip

already took care of that one, Bob! Smiler

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Roberts, built on a 1909 Mauser and a 22 in. Douglas featherweight throated for 3" OAL, likes the 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. I worked up to 2900 fps, got 3 shot groups less than 1". Velocity was 2900 fps. Load was Remington brass, CCI 200 primer, and 45 gr. IMR 4350 (purchased in the late 1990's). That load shows over max in Nosler's latest manual, but that max (43.5 gr.) gives 3007 fps, so I may have a slow lot of powder.

It doesn't get shot a lot, but is very effective. I could probably push it faster, but don't see the need-it will do anything I need inside 300 yds.

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote