Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy of Hodgdon Load Data?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted
I was researching some loads for my .405 Winchester and noticed that the advertised velocities on the Hodgdon data site seem quite fast for the caliber. It also seems that I read somewhere that one of the AR members was consistently 100 FPS of the published velocities. Has anyone chronographed these loads for the .405?

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked up to Hodgdon's max. load of 59 gr of Benchmark with the Hornady 300gr SP, new Hornady brass, and WLR primer. I use the Redding bullet seating die crimp. It is advertised at 2404 fps and I got 2381fps from a clean barrel and then 2388, 2403 and 2405 on shots 2, 3, and 4. So from a fouled barrel my model 1885 winchester did just what they advertise. (Chornograph was about 10' from barrel.) I have shot this load twice and excluding the 1st shot I am getting 1.5' groups at 100yds (group of 6 shots). Include the 1st shot and the group is about 2.25'. (1st shot is about .75 inch low.)I wish I had lighter bullets so better velocity, but I haven't found anything yet.

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
31/2, I can't speak specifically for the .405 Winchester, but on average, I find the Hodgdon's data to be some of the most accurate.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bmash that sounds like quite a good load by itself. As a matter of fact, that is 200 FPS faster that the advertised Hornady factory velocities. I too have an 1885 Winchester. It has the 22" barrel and I am hoping that it will prove a versatile big game rifle.

I've never been to Africa but by looking at the published velocities of the 400 gr. Woodleighs I don't see why the .405 considered so anemic for buffalo.

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady and others seem to be way below what Hodgdon published. From Hodgdon's webpage:
"300 GR. HDY FP Hodgdon Benchmark .411" 3.085" 53.0 2206 (min. load) 34,100 PSI 59.0 2404 (max load) 42,200 PSI " -- 2404 is what they say and I got 2403 and 2405fps. ( I substituted a soft point vs. a flat point.) Either way, I saw no presssure signs.

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also see no reason to push this anymore since the recoil is enough for a whitetail deer!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bmash:
I also see no reason to push this anymore since the recoil is enough for a whitetail deer!!

Agreed. The factory Hornady loads aren't pleasant off the bench with a crescent steel butt. However, they are not bad in any field position. I made a pair of leather-wrapped shooting sticks specifically for this rifle and it is a breeze to shoot off of them.