New
Find
Notify
Tools

308Win + pistol powder VV-N310.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

Does anybody experiment light loads with pistol powder VV-N310 with .308 Win?
I found some interresting reading about that at URL : http://guns.connect.fi/gow/QA6.html.

I intend to try Lapua bullet 100 grs Hollow Point (G477) with a N310 recommended load:9.2 - 10.8 grs. This should give an average speed of +/-1680 feets/sec.

Isn't it too risky playing with such reloading?
Any precautionary measures to suggest?

Thanks in advance for your advices, HUBERT.

Posts: 5 | Location: 23 Miles from Bastogne - Belgium | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The real danger with light loads of pistol powder is in accidentally dropping two charges in the case and not noticing it prior to seating a bullet. Be sure to check all the cases after charging to make sure none of them contains two loads of powder. VV N310 seems to be about as fast as Bullseye, so 9.2 grains seems like too much in the .308 WCF. I would reduce the powder charge by a grain for starters; if the 9.2 grain load has a M/V of about 1680 fps, there's no danger of sticking a bullet in the bore at 8 grains. Reduced loads aren't particularly risky if you don't try for too much velocity with the wrong powder. Pistol primers may (or may not) give you better accuracy.

posted Hide Post
Berdanill, thanks for your advices.

I should maybe use a filler in order to hold the powder in place.

Posts: 5 | Location: 23 Miles from Bastogne - Belgium | Registered: 25 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hubert_ph:
I should maybe use a filler in order to hold the powder in place.

I do not think you need filler with easily ignitable pistol powders.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote