Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady LNL progressive press.. opinions wanted
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I know the Dillon 650 seems to be the standard by all others are judged but....there is quite a bit of difference in price.

I've been loading .223's on a single stage for far too long and need to move up to something with a little more production capability.

So, what's the consciences on this progressive press? Cabelas has them on sale for $399 and I have a $110 in Cabela's club points. They are also offering 500 bullets free with the purchase of this press which doesn't hurt anything either. A lot of pluses in it's favor but, It's only a good deal IF it's a good press.

I want production, but it has to make high quality ammo as a finished product. What do you guy's think?

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Terry
I love mine. I also have a dillon, which you can't go too far wrong with. Just remember, the dillon equal is the 650, not the 550.

You can get all the same bells and whistles for the lnl, except the case trimmer.

It is my reproduce that the lnl is at least a good competitor to the 650

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38640 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hornady is best. Only reason Dillon is popular is due to their advertising. Dillon removeable heads move and rock, always a bad thing, and you have to feed brass in with your right hand; on the Hornady, you keep your right hand on the tiller and feed brass and bullets with your left. I have used both; Hornady is by far the best for me. Better, faster and cheaper. I do not work for Hornady.

Posts: 17186 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I know the Dillon 650 seems to be the standard by all others are judged but....there is quite a bit of difference in price.

I've been loading .223's on a single stage for far too long and need to move up to something with a little more production capability.

So, what's the consciences on this progressive press? Cabelas has them on sale for $399 and I have a $110 in Cabela's club points. They are also offering 500 bullets free with the purchase of this press which doesn't hurt anything either. A lot of pluses in it's favor but, It's only a good deal IF it's a good press.

I want production, but it has to make high quality ammo as a finished product. What do you guy's think?

Thanks,
Terry

What kind of quantity are you contemplating to load? That is, what production rate would satisfy you? More than 200 rounds an hour pretty much requires a progressive.

Do you reload for other chamberings? Switching chamberings on some progressives can be troublesome for some people. Others don't mind so much. Which type are you?

Do you leave your press set up all the time or take it down and put it away after each session. A single stage or turret is quicker than most progressives I have seen. But if you leave it set up and ready to go (sans powder and primers, of course) this is no barrier to a progressive. I keep mine packed up when not in use, so use an auto-indexing turret.

Lost Sheep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my Hornady LNL press....in particular, their powder measure adjustment and changing between loads is far superior to the Dillon method...

I find myself only using it as a full progressive for handgun ammo however....any cases that may require trimming I process in two runs so that I can inspect, measure, and trim between the sizing and loading functions.

I strongly recommend this press....but will warn that it took me a bit longer to get used to setting up and using a progressive, auto-indexing press than I expected.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have an older Hornady press. It knocks 'em out. I use the Lee disk powder system on my press for handgun reloading. I would imagine that the new LNL presses would be fantastic.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote