THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .22-250 load chrony results....does this seem right?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22-250 load chrony results....does this seem right?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted
My current load for my 22" barreled .22-250 is 36.1 grns of IMR-4064 in Win brass with a Rem. 9 1/2 LR primer. The lastest Hodgdon data show 36.3grns out of 24" barrel at 3713 fps as a max load and My 3rd edition (1989) Sierra Guide shows 36.2 grns at 3600fps out of 26" barrel as a max load. My current load I started at 34.5 grn and worked up with no sticking bolt, excessive case stretch, or flattened primers. The primers do seem to crater a bit but they did that right from the word go with my starting load. When I got to 36.1 grns I shot several 3 shot groups in the upper .300"s and low .400"s so I didnt bother to go any farther. This past week a me and a my hunting partner got a chronograph. Today after we got back from Coyote hunting we decided to play around with it a bit. First off we ran some CCI standard velocity (1080fps) .22LR through and it ran up as 1050-1070 fps with our 20" barreled lever guns. Second was some Win. 17HMR 20grn Gamepoints listed at 2350fps. They ran up at 2330-2365fps out of my Savage 93R17. Third was some .22-250 Winchester "White Box" 45grn HP's listed at 4000fps. They ran up at 3965fps from the 22" barrel which we figured about right since Win listed them out of a 24" barrel. Next were my current .22-250 loads I was figuring they should have ran through at around 3625-3650 fps with the 22" barrel. First shot was 3717fps, second 3738fps and third was 3723fps. My first thoughts were "HOLY CRAP!!!!" that was way faster than what they were even listed for at a max load out of longer barrel. Second thought was that was a pretty good velocity spread and maybe part of the reason why they shot so well. Sorry for such a long post but I'm not used to a chrono and just wanted to post what lead up to my reload testing. Compared to facotry data and list velocity it appears to be fairly accurate. My question is......is such a high velocity over listed reloading data normal. Like I said at the start my loads don't appear to be pushing over pressure. I can post pics of the brass if wanted. I dont mind the extra speed just was really surprised they were moving along so fast out of the shorter barrel of my gun.

Thanks
Tim

Posts: 48 | Location: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My take is that you should be fine as long as you don't exceed the published load data for the bullet/powder combination for your cartridge. You've got what seems to be a "fast" and accurate barrel and load. Lucky you, it doesn't always work that way.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 22.250 always seemd to be touchy to me to load for. One of my rifles flattens primers, shaves brass from the ejector hole and gives way to high of velocity with 39 grains of H380.

The starting load from Hodgdon is 38 grains and the max load is 41 grains.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyesare we missing some bullet weights here? Confusedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Well, now that you mention it...

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Well, now that you mention it...

I guess I should have put that in there eh? I'm load a 55grn Sierra BTSP #1365. Which is part of the reason why I got wondering about things. 3725fps out of 22" barrel with a 55grn bullet IMO is smokin'. I also forgot to mention my velocity tests were done at approx. 3ft from the muzzle with a blast shield in place

Thanks
Tim

Posts: 48 | Location: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Move your chrony further away and just allow for the distance from the muzzle. There is a possibility that you have some ejecta blowing through the screens at a higher velocity.

Not saying that is what it is, but it won't hurt to check.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience with the .22-250, that's a pretty stiff load, and the velocity (within the accuracy parameters of an inexpensive chronograph) sounds plausible.

If you are experiencing no case head expansion (most easily identified by loosening primer pockets after a couple of loadings), then there is nothing wrong with your load. If primer pockets are "weakening", then you need to dial it back a grain or two.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Move your chrony further away and just allow for the distance from the muzzle. There is a possibility that you have some ejecta blowing through the screens at a higher velocity.

Not saying that is what it is, but it won't hurt to check.

FrownerThis did happen to me when I was using chronies, or said the mid Eastern voice on the phone.Gun Smoke! BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about the distance being kinda close but it was suggested in the instructions and also mentioned the blast shield because of the close distance. After seeing what I thought to be a low velocity spread but high in actual velocity readings I figured it was ok or they would have been so consistent. I will give it a go again at 10-15ft as I've had this mentioned on a couple other forums as well.

Thanks
Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
15ft or better. I'd see what that gives you for velocities. If you're motoring at 37+, you're red lining or close to it.
I'd like to point out that book max isn't something that applies to all rifles.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your results do not sound unreasonable. It is worth keeping in mind that published load data is a guide line, not the word of god. Each rifle and each combination of components is a bit different. For the past 20 years I've been chronographing all my loads and gotten a surprise or two in that time. I've had two rifles (that I can remember for sure) which always gave results which were faster than published data.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Barrels and chambers can often give different results than they are supposed to, both high and low over a chrony.

I'd pay attention on how many reloads your brass is giving you, as an indication of too much pressure.

how easy are the primers going back in upon reloading.. if too easily, then you have excess pressure.. if still tight, then you are not.

also does your brass need trimming frequently?
that could indicate a little free bore, which could explain higher velocity, without pressure signs.

if you are that overly concerned, you have the option of backing down the charge a grain or 1.5 of so... that should end any particularly pressure loads.

one of my loads of 3031 with a 50 grain bullet are running at 3950 plus, out of a 22.250.
but primer pockets are staying tight, brass is not flowing requiring trimming, and the brass has endured 10 reloads in that batch, with primer pockets still tight.

velocity and a chrony, can be indicators of high pressure, but I wouldn't make that item number one to determine it by.

I let the brass tell me that first during reloading...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the replies. I haven't had a chance to try them from farther yet but as far as the brass goes. My trim to length is 1.902" and most of my fired rounds measure 1.9025"-1.9035" so they aren't flowing much. I've got probably 6-7 loads on this batch of brass and am only now starting to notice the odd some what loose primer pocket. I have 40 or so of this batch loaded up I'm going to finish and then back it down to around 3625-3650fps which is about what I figured I was shooting in the first place....as long as they still group as well as they do now.
Seafire......those reduced BD loads you gave me last year are working great for around the farm

Thanks
Tim

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
eafire......those reduced BD loads you gave me last year are working great for around the farm

Glad to help out, eh? Big Grin

beer

now close the thread before Hot Core gets here and tell you that you are going to kill yourself using those Blue Dot loads.

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:

now close the thread before Hot Core gets here and tell you that you are going to kill yourself using those Blue Dot loads.

LOL.......... moon

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
quote:
eafire......those reduced BD loads you gave me last year are working great for around the farm

Glad to help out, eh? Big Grin

beer

No need for me to tell him since you already have. Two very close calls of Killing folks(that we are aware of) is obviously not near enough for you.

Perhaps TReX300 will be the first person to earn the old 6' deep Pine Box Award. If he is too stupid to listen to reason, then he has to learn the hard way - such is (the end of) life.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TReX300: If it takes a half-dozen loadings for your brass to exhibit loosening primer pockets, then the load is certainly not "unsafe", but I think you are wise to back it down a few grains/FPS. A slightly more modest load will be easier on your brass and your barrel. But why worry about the barrel? According to our self-annointed expert Hot Core, you're going to blow it to hell with a load of Blue Dot, anyway, right? Roll Eyes

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anther thing to try is shooting some 55 gr. factory loads over your crony. If they correlate with your hand loads you are probably ok.

Posts: 35 | Location: Juneau, AK | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
According to our self-annointed expert Hot Core, ...
Nahh..., I think you have that "self-annointed expert" comment confused. Surely you actually meant it for the clown who thinks the Factory Labs, with $$$Millions$$$ of Pressure Testing Equipment don't know what they are doing.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote