New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone have any experience with using 125-130gr. spitzer bullets for deer? these will be used in a single shot. Looking for a good load. Thanks, Bill439

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 7 is the powder that will give you max velocity with that bullet range....and it is very accurate, especially by 30/30 standards...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with seafire.....IMR4320 is also a good 30-30 powder. Good luck and regards, Rick.

John Deer tractors and Sako rifles....just doesn't get much better.

Posts: 51 | Location: NC Missouri | Registered: 31 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, seafire and sakorick for the info. My main concern was the use of 125 gr. spitzers on deer size game, would I get the pentration necessary for a clean kill ect. Few of the loading manuals list the 125 use in 30-30 for deer. What do you think of a Nosler bt 125 with the rel 7 or 4320 ? Has anyone used these bullets for deer with good results? maybe 200yds is just too much to ask of a 30-30. Thanks, bill439

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill439: My first gun i bought was a bolt action 30-30. I did alot of coyote/deer hunting with my dad. So i tried(my dad did most of the reloading) the 125gr nosler bt to see if i could find a all around bullet/load for coyote/deer hunting for me. I dont remember the load but what i found out was. Out to 150 yard's(i never shot a deer over 150 yards) it would kill a deer. I never had one run more than 40 yards.I killed coyotes out to 200 yards also.

Posts: 22 | Location: north missouri | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With RL 7 you can get about 2600 fps out of a 125 grain Ballistic Tip...with 30 grains of RL 7.... out of a 20 inch barrel.. a 24 inch one will give you 2700 fps, at least in my 24 inch Winchester Model 94...

If you zero 2.5 to 3 inches high at 100 yds with a scope...you have a capable deer round out past 200 yds...

A stiff charge of H 335 can make the velocity a little faster, but I like the RL 7 load, for less recoil, and great accuracy...

A 125 grain Ballistic Tip is up to the job, as would be a 130 grain Speer...

For antelope sized deer don't sell the 110 grain SP short or the 110 grain Sierra HP...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great information, Kris and seafire are giving me confidence to try the 125nosler bt's with rel 7. I will do some loading and hopefully find a deer to take with that load. Thank you very much for the replies, after I do some field testing I will post a report with load data and bullet performance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 10 yo son has been using a Rem M7 youth in .308 this season. I loaded the 125 NBTs to about 26-2700fps with RL7(36g I believe)and he has killed three whitetails with the load this season, two small bucks and a mature doe. The recoil is light and he can handle it well and not be 'scared' to shoot. The 125s performed excellently with less than ideal placement. He really likes his M7 with its green tipped bullets!! Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote