New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Press for Handgun Ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Want to buy a new rig to load 38SPL and 10mm Auto QUICKLY. Equipment costs and my limited time is a significant consideration.

Will load cast bullets (@ a minimum, 1,000-38's and 200-10's a year).

What system would you recommend.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't plan on loading any more than that, any press would do. I'd look at one of the RCBS kits and go with that.
For years, I loaded a lot more .38 Spl. that that on an old Pacific "C" press. At the time, I was shooting probably 300 rounds a week.
One thing I would strongly suggest as a time saver is make sure you get carbide sizing dies.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, once again someone wants it QUICK and CHEAP. Perhaps you'd better look at what Lee Precision has to offer. Their stuff is CHEAP, but I don't know how QUICK. Or how long they last.

Dillon's Square Deal B loads those straight-walled pistol cartridges QUICKLY; about 4-500 rounds per hour. However, it costs $320.00 plus another $75 to convert to the other caliber.

Your choice.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady AP is about the same price as the Square Deal B, but uses standard dies and has a better powder measure. It can load rifle cartridges, and is an easier changeover, especially with the powder system. Another option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deke:
Want to buy a new rig to load 38SPL and 10mm Auto QUICKLY. Equipment costs and my limited time is a significant consideration.

Will load cast bullets (@ a minimum, 1,000-38's and 200-10's a year).

What system would you recommend.

Deke.

I recommend you DON'T buy a press. If you don't have time to learn the fundamentals, don't risk damaging a favorite firearm or yourself.

With that said, you've been around here long enough to accumulate 600+ posts, so you should have some idea of which equipment is of value and which isn't. See: a press for me

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all of your responses;

Some more clarification is needed from me. I realize this is not alot of loading. I have had a Lee Turret press for over 10 years and it has been okay until the last year when my free time has become much more limited. I allocate my time now to hunt and stay on my pistol practice and have very little time to reload. I also have a limited budget. I want somthing faster than my turret press, but minus dies, I don't know that I can justify more than $200 (new or used). I used to have a source that would reload cast 38's for $85/1,000 until he changed to jacketed only which are much more. Hence this new need of mine to now reload my own pistol practice ammo.

Buckshot not sure what you are getting at, but if it helps, I have reloaded centerfire and shotshells for 30yrs and frankly consider myself pretty darn good as I have yet to come across a centerfire (new or used, cheap or not, even semiauto) that I cannot get to shoot .5 - 1.0 moa with hunting bullets (not to mention match), I am just not up to date on rapid reloading systems. BTW, don't be fooled by how many posts someone has. I have seen idiots that have thousands, and consider some posters that have less than 100 as golden.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deke, your original post just struck me as someone who had neither the time, nor the inclination to do a conscientious job reloading, thus it was my intent to discourage you. And given the number of posts as of late regarding progressive presses it struck me that you, with 6oo posts, had to have seen a few of them. No offense intended Smiler

With that said, look to the used market for something like a used Redding turret press. That, along with carbide dies, is about the best thing for your circumstances. I say this because you'll not find a used Dillon for a song unless you're extremely lucky. Maybe a used Hornady L&L will come your way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deke:
Look into a used Lee Ammomaster. Possibly a factory reconditioned unit.
I am not a big Lee fan but have used a properly setup ammomaster and it worked fairly well. Just not sure how long it will last. Or how often it will need "fine tuning". That said at the rate you intend to use the loader this may not be a concern.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote