New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon experts, educate me before I buy, please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After a long absence I have desided to start reloading and shooting my hand guns again on a regular basis and I would like to buy a progressive press and Dillon is IMHO the way to go. I will be reloading for .45 ACP, .40 S&W and .38/.357.

After spending ALOT of time going through both Dillons websits and their catalog, I find my self in need of some solid advice on what items are of the "Must have" type and which ones I can do with out BEFORE I call dillon to place my order.

I will be reloading in the amount of 75 to 150 rounds per caliber each time before I go shooting, depending on if I plan to shoot only one gun, or all of them.

I at present have dies for both the .45 ACP and the .38/357, but will have to get dies for the .40 S&W.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated by myself.

Be well and have a great X-Mass,
Regards,
Arthur.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your decision. I don't think you can go wrong. It sounds like you are going to want to leave your primary 3 setups complete to minimize setup time, depending on how frequently you load/shoot. With that in mind, here's some input:

MUST HAVE: (1 per setup/caliber))
Conversion kit
Toolheads
Toolhead stands (might could be "nice to have")
Powder measure (dispenser)
Primer flip tray
Digital calipers (measuring cartridge OAL)
Tumbler (I've heard of folks doing this with coffee cans and media, seems painful to me)

NICE TO HAVE:
Factory crimp dies
Aftermarket powder bar adjusting knobs (e-Bay)
Digital scale (I now have digital powder dispenser - mostly for rifle carts)

There's probably tons of other things I've forgot, but that's what comes immediately to mind.

Merry Christmas - load much, shoot often!

Chris

Posts: 53 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend at least the 550B. Unless you're going to load rifle calibers or a wider variety of calibers it should be fine. The 650 is almost ideal for the heavy duty reloader.

You may find that having several powder measures is especially advantageous, so I agree with the list above.

Dillon is great about sending replacement parts so I'd not worry too much about those.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first Dillon was a square deal press, and I did use it. In fact, I sent it back to Dillon, and they replaced it as "worn out."

The trick is to get two primer set ups, one for Large and one for Small primers.

If you go with a 550, you still need the double primer set ups. It is easier to change out calibers generally than a Square Deal.

Dillon is the way to go for what you are proposing, however, for the number that your are doing, I'd use an RCBS or Lyman. The progressives really come into their own when you load a couple of hundred at a pop. For less than a 100, a regular press will work if you have a good powder measure that will throw a consistent charge. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
75 to 150 rounds is nothing for the 550 Dillon, and even if you were to quadruple your production it would only equal an hour or so spent reloading on the 550. I'm so happy with my 1983 vintage RL450 that I bought a 550B 20 years later. I would avoid the "Square Deal B" press as it's a dedicated calibre press that is almost as costly as the 550, a PITA to convert, and has none of the 550's flexibility when it comes to rifle calibres.

Must haves should consist of:
1) respective calibre conversion kit(s)
2) a dedicated tool head with powder measure for each calibre
4) Dillon's dies (they're worth it, trust me and sell/trade your old ones)
5) 550 spare parts kit

I almost put the extra tool heads on the nice to have list, but fact is, they'll speed up productivity like nothing else. You could also get by with one powder measure, but if you have favorite loads that are used exclusively, I'd get them instead of making adjustments each loading session.

Of the nice to have stuff:
1) primer system early warning kit
2) extra primer pickup tubes & Dillon's big primer flip tray
3) universal mounting hardware
4) cartridge case bin & bracket
5) machine maintenance kit
6) extra cartridge storage bins in various sizes
7) toolhead stands
8) Dillon's stainless steel case gauges

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is offered anymore, but the Dillon AT-500 may be of interest to you. It's less than the 550 ($-wise) and would surely suit any low production needs.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you plan on changing over from caliber to caliber often, then the 550B is the way to go. Caliber conversions for the 650 cost alot more & take longer to do than a 550B. You can easily load 400rds in an hour on the 550B, 600-700/hr on a 650. It's always a time v money thing. Both are great pieces of equip. for the high volumn shooter. I'm a Dillon guy but you may want to look into the Hornady LNL also. Lee, ok if you have less money to spend.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Down south
posted Hide Post
Try Brian Here. He is a Dillon dealer. You can buy from him at the same price as Dillon and he will tell you exactly what you need or don't need. Brain is great to deal with. Give him a call and explain just what you want to load and how much at a time. Another note is Dillon is going up 2.5% on their presses Dec 31st.
I just bought a 550 B from him yesterday. From looking at the calibers that you will be loading I'd say get a 550 B. You won't go wrong.

Posts: 64 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to say greatest of thanks to Cris, Mstarling, Kudude, buckshot, Dodge Dude, Fred, and Down South, for all the info you shared with me (especially the link provided by Down South it is awesome) and for the time you all spent to do so. I now feel compleatly confident and informed to purchase a 550B press.

Be well to all and have great fortune in the coming new year.

Thanks again,
Arthur.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to thank me you'll thank your self for purchasing one . I at one time or another over the last 40 years have had at least one of everybody's make . Several years back I purchased a 550 and then a 650 . I never regretted it, that was one of the best moves I ever made .

I even sold the RCBS Rockchucker once I found how accurately the Dillon loaded .

Happy loading . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a chance to buy a used 550.What is the diference between a 550 & a 550b.tks w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there ever was a 550 without the 'b'. Dillon went right from the 450 to the 550b. Just like there was no Square Deal 'A' before the Square Deal B. Mike Dillon just likes to use letter suffixes in his model numbers.

Some guys, when describing their machine, just call it the 550, to differentiate it from the 650.

Dillon does make the AT-500, but they don't promote it much as it's a single stage version of the 550b. You can, like I did, buy all the upgrades to make it into the fully progressive RL550b. Dillon will also upgrade their old RL450 for you.

Bottom line is, don't pass on a good deal for lack of a 'B'. Dillon takes care of all their customers. Even those who buy used machines.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was indeed a 550 (no 'b'). I bought one about 20 years ago. A few years later, the B came out and Dillon offered a conversion kit. The kit contained a part to insert between the top of the ram and the loading plate (whatever you call it that the cases sit on/in). This part has an "arm" that sticks out to the left and connects (via an adjustable linkage) to a lever on the powder measure. This mechanism does nothing when you raise the ram, but when you lower the ram, it forces the powder bar to slide all the way to the left (to fill the cavity from the hopper).

Prior the conversion, the powder bar was moved to the left by a spring as you lowered the ram. Sometimes the bar would get stuck and if you didn't notice it, the next round would get no powder. If you did notice it, you would have to give the bar a little push (or wiggle) with your hand to assist the spring. This only happened (to me) with really fine-grained powders (esp. Win-296).

The mechanical connection between the ram and the powder bar makes the spring redundant, but I still use it.

If you get hold of a 550 that is not a B, I imagine Dillon would sell or give you the conversion kit. If you send the machine to them, they will probably install it for free.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Dillon "expert" but I have loaded 5-6000 rounds this week with my 650. Smiler
The things that come to mind for me is that I had a lot better luck using Dillon dies in the Dillon presses than by using my older sets. The Dillon dies are optimized for loading on a progressive press - belled case mouths, can be cleaned without changing settings, springloaded decapper etc..
Also the video helped me a lot when setting up. Some of the little adjustments make a big difference in how smoothly the machine runs.
Be carefull in sorting your brass. A 40cal case will jamb up your stuff tight when loading 45 ACP likewise a 9x19 the 40 S&W. Revolver ammo is probably a lot less susceptable to this than auto stuff you pick up off the ground at a busy range.
Good luck with your setup!..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to know what Dillon did or didn't have let me know . I have every catalog Dillon ever made or sent out !. Everyone ! . I've saved all the Blue Press monthly sales flyer's .

They did indeed make a 550 before the B model .

I use Dillon ,RCBS , and Redding Dies without any problems what so ever .

I would only sell one of those presses if it could be proved to me that another model or someone else's make was superior .

So far I haven't seen any .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
If you really want to know what Dillon did or didn't have let me know . I have every catalog Dillon ever made or sent out !. Everyone ! . I've saved all the Blue Press monthly sales flyer's .

OK Dr. K be honest. Did you save all of the flyers because of Dillons fine products or because of the awesome Babes they use as Models? Smiler They have certainly used a few stunners!.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK perhaps a little of both .

The main reason is Every so often I break out one of them from the early catalogs to see how much those parts accessories cost me back then .

Then I bend over and Kick my own ass as to why I didn't buy MORE of them when they were much cheaper !.

I just went out too the garage and grabbed one out of the middle box random grab ( I have 3 Huge boxes of them ). It's Sept 1994

RL 550 B $298.95 tool heads #3 for $27.95

Jan 2008 RL550B $ 395.95 tool heads are $16.95 each per three at a time Now .

I'm going to watch the rest of the Rose Bowl an suck down some of those Expensive Imports that I got for X Mas and try not to cry in my Porter or Ale !.

Happy NEW YEAR everybody .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkL:
There was indeed a 550 (no 'b'). I bought one about 20 years ago. A few years later, the B came out and Dillon offered a conversion kit. The kit contained a part to insert between the top of the ram and the loading plate (whatever you call it that the cases sit on/in). This part has an "arm" that sticks out to the left and connects (via an adjustable linkage) to a lever on the powder measure. This mechanism does nothing when you raise the ram, but when you lower the ram, it forces the powder bar to slide all the way to the left (to fill the cavity from the hopper).

Prior the conversion, the powder bar was moved to the left by a spring as you lowered the ram. Sometimes the bar would get stuck and if you didn't notice it, the next round would get no powder. If you did notice it, you would have to give the bar a little push (or wiggle) with your hand to assist the spring. This only happened (to me) with really fine-grained powders (esp. Win-296).

The mechanical connection between the ram and the powder bar makes the spring redundant, but I still use it.

If you get hold of a 550 that is not a B, I imagine Dillon would sell or give you the conversion kit. If you send the machine to them, they will probably install it for free.

There is also a slight diff. in the ram arm config. The 550 has a bearing w/ clips to hold the arms & handle block together. The 550B as a threaded bearing w/ self locking nuts & the ram handle block as two holes in it to allow you to lube the bearing. The 550 has to be taken apart to clean & lube the bearing. I have a 550 & a 550B.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Down south
posted Hide Post
Dillon doesn’t offer the plain 550 any more. Sometimes people refer the 550 B as a 550. I do this too. I bought a 550 B. It should be here tomorrow or the day after. I’m ready for it to get here. I’ve got about 400 9MM, 300 38 Spl and about 2000 S&W 40 cleaned and ready to go. I just loaded a couple hundred 40 S&W last week on my single stage. I’m looking forward to cranking out more ammo in a lot less time.

BTW, I just got one of their calenders.

Posts: 64 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
If you were to do 308, 243, 223, etc... on occasion would you get the dillon setup for it or just use a single stage.

I only do about 100-200 rifle at a time.

Rich

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote