THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Barnes Tripleshock Bullets.....Holy Grail of Hunting Bullets?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Tripleshock Bullets.....Holy Grail of Hunting Bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone purchased these new bullets yet? Latest issue of Rifleshooter has a good article on em claiming some impressive velocity gains. What would a 300WM with a 25"bbl push the 168gr Tripleshock at? 3350fps? 3400fps? Could this be the hunting bullet we have been waiting for? Comments? MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MtnHtr....what did the magazine say about accuracy?? That always seems to be the rub when Barnes is mentioned.
Iam interested, like everyone, in the next big thing!!!....Holy grail...LOL....sakofan... [Smile]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have had very little experience with Barnes X bullets, but have had very good accuracy results with the Originals I have used.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sakofan:
MtnHtr....what did the magazine say about accuracy?? That always seems to be the rub when Barnes is mentioned.
Iam interested, like everyone, in the next big thing!!!....Holy grail...LOL....sakofan... [Smile]

Sako,
The article explains the "grooves actually increase accuracy by providing a relief valve as the bullet metal flows under pressure while traveling down the bore." Sure sounds convincing to me, the article also tells of a 300Win printing under a .5" using the 168gr Triple-shock bullets. Testing has shown an average velocity boost of 125 to 150fps. This just could be the cat's meow!(grin)

MtnHtr

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are a crude version of the GSC HV concept. Ought to be better than a plain X-Bullet in most rifles. Some rifles work wonderfully with the plain X-Bullet. Any rifle will work wonders with a GSC HV or FN. A tip of the hat to GSC for this trend. Now I must go email Gerard and Gina and see if I get a response. Does one have to go to RSA to pick up these GSC bullets in person? Am I going to have to resort to the Tripleshocks?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
MtnHtr - you say:

"grooves actually increase accuracy by providing a relief valve as the bullet metal flows under pressure while traveling down the bore." "Sure sounds convincing to me . . . "

To me, it explains how you can lower your pressures and get higher velocity, but it doesn't "convince me" one iota about accuracy. Maybe they mean you will keep maintain your baseline accuracy longer before copper fouling degrades accuracy? How does it convince you?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I am using Mike Brady's North Fork bullets in place of the GS HV -- which I don't seem to be able to get anyway. [Wink]

http://northforkbullets.com/

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lars,
That was a quote from the article in which Randy Brookes explained how the grooves produce tighter groups. The way I see it, if you are dragging less copper off your bullets as they go down the tube but still aligning with the bore you are going to see better accuracy. Everyone knows excess copper fouling degrades accuracy, perhaps some barrels are more prone than others. Read the article, then decide if you want to try these bullets out. MtnHtr

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've read the same artical. The grooves do reduce pressure, other makers in the past have stated this as well. North Fork bullets are recent example of many grooves being used.
If memory serves, the last page in that same magazine, has as add from Lazeronni. They have a line of bullets, made by Barnes (X-bullets, with groves), coated with Robar NP3, and sold under the Lazeronni name. Interesting. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The groove, ring, ridges are not really a new concept. The Gs customs HV's are great and I'd still use them if I could get them in short order. Ordered some Groove bullets and will see how they shoot when they arrive. I've heard great things about the above mentioned Northfork bullets-again w/groove, rings whatever you want to call them. I will try the triple shock if the others won't shoot. I definitely think monolithic is the way to go.
One other thing, how many gun writers try a new product and determine it's crap or there is no need for a new caliber, model, weight, accessory, gizmo,clothing, device or product.
Steve

PS Has anybody heard anthing about the new GSc supplier in the states that was supposed to open 2months ago

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as accuracy and grooved bullets, I have never found a bullet as accurate as the North Forks..BTW they sure do mushroom nice on everything that I have shot with them...Kill Buffalo very well indeed. They are the only bullet that makes a "perfect mushroom" after smashing the spine of a Buff or Eland, nuff said?

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who cares who invented them, I just want them at a reasonable price, and at a reasonable time. Bring on the triple shoks!

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
The new Shooting times magazine has them in an article by Rick Jamison. He shot the 130 Barnes Trip/shocks out of a stock Ruger 77. 55gr of IMR4350 resulted in 3200+ fps and 1.7" at 200 yards.

Did better accuracy and velocity wise than any other 130 if I remember corectly.

Can it be Barnes got the accuracy down????? [Embarrassed]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure on the accuracy side, but I know the grooves in them help preassure. I have some X bullets with a crimping groove on them and I have passed Barns' load data with brass that has less room in it. They group about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" which in the world where they are used is totaly fine.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just read the Shooting Times article - Rick Jamison did get impressive accuracy results with this bullet in the 270 he was developing loads for - the thing about that article that got me was the Speer Nitrex 130 gr GS factory load - that load cooks.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote