Find
Notify
Tools

Too much pressure or sizing issue?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt_E
posted
This concerns handloads for my 12VSS Savage Varminter in 22-250.
Per book, I am loading relatively mild loads, for example: 55gr Nosler BT, with 33.5 gr Varget.
Here's my problem: Heavy boltlift, and I have to lift and shut at least two or three times before I can extract. What's the problem here?
I always thought that maybe I have a tight chamber, and my loads just need to be reduced. However, 33.5 grains is already 2.5 grains below max., per book of course.

I just thought of another possibility: I have been necksizing only these cases for at least five firings. So....maybe a full-length sizing is in order?
What's your take?

Posts: 9130 | Location: US of A | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Matt, try FL resizing. Does this happen w/ OF brass?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with that also and trim to lenght

one of us
Picture of Matt_E
posted Hide Post
I trim after every firing...

I very rarely shoot factory ammo. But, I don't seem to recall those problems with factory ammo.

BTW, I don't get any "traditional" pressure signs, such as split necks, flattened primers, etc...I do see a lot of scratch marks on the body of the case.

Posts: 9130 | Location: US of A | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred and Bam Bam have the solution pegged in my book. I full length resize my brass, and give it the shoulder bump, RCBS recommends and maybe I might be lucky, but I have never ever had to trim a 22/250 case.

Some have seen 20 loadings also. I am doing something wrong? Who knows, but it is working!!!
So why bother it.

Cheers and Good shooting
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
It really doesn't sound like to much pressure.When you lift the bolt handle say three times does the extracter actually loose its grip the first two times or do you lift it just so far and it won't raise any farther?

When you have the problem again really study the cases for small ring marks and signs of drag. The drag marks may only be about.025" in length. The idea presented earlier about trying fatory ammo is a good start. If you do and it sticks or not look for evidence of chamber roughness and such on the expended cases. You should also be looking for gauling on the rear of the cases. This could indicate another type of problem such as a non perpendicular bolt face or set back. Your case condition can afford some significant clues. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to check your extractor.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sizing issue, I FL size everything, even though I have a nice collection of neck dies and use to be a avid neck sizer but after a fair number of cases( like 1-15) that did not chamber I went back to FL, to me it really not that much more effort.

seafire

How are you getting past 3 FL sizings without triming, that is about all I get out of any 22-250 brass make no diff on mfg.

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote