THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone try the 130 barnes xlc in .308 cal??
 Login/Join

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Has anyone tried this in any caliber??
Can you report on accuracy and velocity?

These bullets were supposed to be available for all of 2001 but I never saw them in a catalogue.

I'm kinda thinking they might give lazerbeam flatness in my '06 and 300 wby.

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
I shot them out of my 15" Encore in .308 this fall. They shot well. The new Barnes manual has the recipies for them. I don't know what kind of velocity I was getting but I can tell you they performed extremely well on the two whitetails that are now in the freezer.

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 130 xbt that I moly coated myself in my factory Rem 700. 308 win. They will shoot .5" to .75" groups on any day of the year. Love these bullets. Shot 2 Caribou this fall with them. They never knew what hit em. Good Luck

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken 4 whitetails with the now-discontinued 125 grain X (not XLC coated) at around 2975 fps from a .308. Accuracy in my old flat-bolt M77 is average, about 1.5 inches at 100. Performance on deer, even small deer, has been outstanding. Quick expansion and unbelievable penetration for such a light bullet.

I'd surely give the 130's a try - should make your '06 something of a "30 caliber 270"....I figure you should get about 3,000 with them. I hope they shoot well for you.

BigIron