New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I have to use the cannelure?
 Login/Join

<sandolamb>
posted
Hi 'y' all. I'm new here and I posted this on the cast bullet form. However, I think it belongs here in the reloading form. Sorry, but any ideas:

I have some Bear Creek black coated lead 215gr for 44 cal. I'm working on a load with 2400. The lyman book says 25gr (seems like an awful lot to me). The first load was at 21gr. and I set the crimp in the cannelure. The primer was flatting out.

Then I tried 23grs and 25 grs, but I crimped down farther into the meat. That added about .1"+ to the case volume. No pressure signs on either one. However, I single shot those so I didn't test if they would back out under fire.

I really liked the 23 grain load, but I wanted to hear opinions about not using the cannelure.

Thanks,

Steve

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Steve~
I always use a cannelure on a pistol bullet. In semiautos the recoil can drive the bullets in the magazine into the case creating excessive pressures and a blown firearm. In a revolver the opposite can be true. The bullet can come out effectively locking the cylinder.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<sandolamb>
posted
Bummer.

I don't have much cast bullet experience with a revolver. I know on my .45 there is no cannelure on the 200 SWC, but the recoil isn't much.

I wish they didn't make the cannelure so far up the bullet. The overall length still has .3". Then again there might not be enough bullet to set in the case.

I suppose I should use these up with a target load and a different powder (I'm not going to go light with 2400 - wouldn't be prudent, not gonna do it).