New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best ballistic software?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New to the forum. Mods feel free to move this if it is not in the right place.

I' looking for a ballistics program for my computer. I want an economical one but also one that will give me as much ability as possible. I mainly handload and use sever manufactures bullets. I also want to use it for my muzzleloader loads. I do have a chronograph.

Thanks for the help.

D

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about internal(load data) or external? Check out the list on Steve's page. Lot of free downloads.

http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not sure what you mean. I want to be able to keep records of my loads as well as trajectory, velocity and energy type stuff downrange.

Hope that makes sense.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I think the free pont blank software does, everything I need it to do, you just have to find the BC of the bullets your are using, which is no big deal

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darrell
Internal ballistic programs calculate load data and predict what your pressures and muzzle vleocity will be with that load (IE the stuff that happens inside your chamber/barrel)
External ballistic programs calculate what will happen to the bullets path as it travels down range.
Keeping track of the load data your using is a simple data base setup, most of them have something that will handle that chore.

If Holt wasn't so far from Tawas, I'd invite you over to play with a couple different ones of the "pay up front" type.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I'm not sure what you mean

Sorry,

Tailgunner did a much better job of explaining it than I did. thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Sorry,

Tailgunner did a much better job of explaining it than I did. thumb[/QUOTE]

No problem, I understand now. That being said I just need the external ballistics and ability to keep track of my load. I think the link to the free stuff should help but if there was a good one that cost I would be open to that as well.

Thanks for the help.

D

NRA Life Memebr

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Since alot of them are free I second the downloadss on Steves pages. He has something there for every purpose, some free, some shareware and some will cost ya. Try Ramrods idea and if you don`t like the one you get delete it and try another. Personally I tried and likeled the "Point Blank" software he offers. It is free and allows you to keep some records.

http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used PEJSA BALLISTICS for several years but thinking of moving to QUICKLOAD.

I trust Arthur Pejsa's external ballistic algorithms but really like all the detailed options of Quickload.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
You can download PointBlank for free from this site

huntingnut

on the right hand side.

Keeping track of your loads is best done by setting up your own excel or spreadsheet.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBM makes an outstanding program. You view it by going to http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html

You can download his old program, but his new program is available for sale. Email him at jbm@eskimo.com

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Williams:
New to the forum. Mods feel free to move this if it is not in the right place.

I' looking for a ballistics program for my computer. I want an economical one but also one that will give me as much ability as possible. I mainly handload and use sever manufactures bullets. I also want to use it for my muzzleloader loads. I do have a chronograph.

Thanks for the help.

D

Darrell, in a short time I hope to release the new version of Loadbase. Will do everything many of the members are asking, including the ability to keep records, external ballistics, library (more than 20000 loads), etc

Staty tuned!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gustavo,

When do you expect to have this released and what will it cost?

Thanks

D

NRA Life Memebr

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Williams:
Gustavo,

When do you expect to have this released and what will it cost?

Thanks

D

Darrell,

I expect to finish development, help manual and new internet site in about two months.

LoadBase 1.0 was given for free, but for Loadbase 2.0 I need to put a charge (development time and cost are a burden).

At this time I have no final price but maybe about $ 80. This including support for 3 months and database updated at no extra charge.

Sure will inform you and other members as soon as it's released

thanks, Gus

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you usually get what you pay for, do yourself a favour and buy Quickload, really good for internal ballistics like pressure calculations. It comes with QuickTarget for external ballistics included.

You will not regret using it but can get a free trial version.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote