Notify
Tools

Re: .300 Weatherby Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Now you tell me:
A: is the extra say 120 fps ( and that is an assumption on my part had the RUM loads been shot using a 26" barrel) worth over THIRTY (30) grains more powder?

That's not a fair comparison. While the RUM will tend to like slower burning powders, 8700 is at the very slowest end of the spectrum, MRP and 4831 is at the fastest end of the spectrum even for the WBY. The WBY would do well with H1000, Retumbo, 7828, RL25, etc. Max loads with all those powders would be more than 81 grains.

I agree that the extra powder/recoil isn't worth the extra velocity for many people. That's fine but let's not exaggerate things.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Jon A: That's the only powder listed in the article and I'm sure that the powders you listed is a valid counter argument, but you get my drift I think, that Remington burns a heck of a lot more powder for an insignificant gain in MV. If I wanted a real barn-burner ( and I don't) I would move up to the 30/378. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To get rid of the belt and whopping freebore, you bet ya my 10 extra grains is worth it. don't worry, federal is on the scene with brass. Ammo is still cheaper than "weatherby ammo". And damn guys, you are willing to pay twice as much for a 1.5" guantee? Good quality guns, with a three bolt lug, but I just can't bring myself to pay that much.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Thanks for the thoughts. Regarding replacement of the rifle by Weatherby, I own some of the blame there. I bought the rifle on sale (you know how often those don't come around) and it sat for several months before I scraped together the cash to put a decent scope on top of it. By the time I got to really shooting it and working up some loads, more than a year passed by. As I recall, the accuracy guarantee is honored within the first year of purchase. As a result, I didn't even contact Weatherby to see if they would replace it.

I am not bitter about having purchased the Weatherby - it is all part of a continual learning process for me. I really did like the rifle itself. It is a resonable weight and handsome. It just did not shoot like I felt it could/should. So, I moved on to try a different make and cartridge.

BTW, even though the Weatherby was an ultralight, it didn't really kick that bad. Weatherby puts a nice Pachmayr Decelerator pad on it which helped quite a bit. Comparatively speaking, the 300 WSM is a bit more gentle on the shoulder.

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It was a new (e.g. 2001) Mark V ultralight chambered in 300 WBY Mag. I handloaded until the cows came home and I could not shoot anything under a 2" group at 100 yds. Weatherby brass, factory loads, handloads, boat tails, flat bottoms, ... it just didn't matter.

And you didn't take advantage of Weatherby's guarantee? Strange. Weatherby would have replaced it F R E E . Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge posted

A: is the extra say 120 fps ( and that is an assumption on my part had the RUM loads been shot using a 26" barrel) worth over THIRTY (30) grains more powder?

My 300ultramag load is 95gr of r-25 which is 11 grains more than your 84gr of 4831,a long way from 30 grains.My velocity is 3395fps with this load or 150fps more than your 300wby load.

jorge posted

"B> GUARANTEED ACCURACY of 1.5" ( I've never had a Weatherby shoot over 1")"

Well I have owned a 300wby that would not shoot better than 1-1/4" after extensive load development.

Jorge posted

"D. Remington brass IS considerably cheaper and so are their rifles"

I have custom rifles built on remington actions that cost only slightly more than most weatherby mark Vs yet they have much higher qualility barrels and stocks and are assembled to closer tolerances.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot the messenger here. I just reported what the magazine said. IF you have a more efficient recipe that's great, bur Can you prove they are better made than Weatherbys? There you go again, slamming Weatherbys. Funny how you "only" managed to get 1 1/4" which is below the minimun guarantee. My worse Weatherby shooter is a 3/4" rifle and I shoot 81gr of MRP. Show me how a 700 action could EVER possibly be better than a Weatherby. Bottom line is your rifles by your own words had to be extensively modidied to get them to shoot. Mine shot right out of the box with no glue in the bolt handle. You like your 700s and ballisitc Tips if I remember correctly, that's fine, I wouldn't use either on a dare, but please don't try to keep convincing me they are better. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This seems to be turning into a Chevy VS Ford argument. I am a chevy person, and would debate anyone who dares. Same with Weatherby. BTW, someone said 3 lug, count again, cause mine has nine........ Really what it boils down to is personal preference. Some people just cannot learn how to shoot a Weatherby rifle..... kinda like learning how to play a Steinway Piano VS a common Bar Upright.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA, Georgia for now | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge posted

"Show me how a 700 action could EVER possibly be better than a Weatherby".

To start with I am talking abou a 700 action that has been trued,lapped and had the trigger reworked or replaced.It is therefore now made to closer tolerances than a factory weatherby action.For less than the difference in price between the weatherby and remington this can be done to a 700 action.

Now would you care to explain why a great many more benchrest competitions have been won by rifles built on 700 actions than on weatherby actions.When the ultimate in accuracy is required, benchrest competitors usually choose special custom actions or 700 actions while very,very few use weatherby actions.Why is that?Could it be because it is much easier to get the best accuracy with a 700 action than with a mark V action?

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt the 700 is the choice of benchrest shooters, there's no escaping that argument. Like so many here have said, accuracy is but one component of hunting and if you are a paper-puncher, the 700 is for you. Like I have stated, I am quite happy with the less than 1 MOA all my Weatherbys get without modifications. jorge

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think some of the 300 Wby shooters are acting towards the 300 RUM shooters the way the 300 Win shooters used to act towards the 300 Wby shooters.

it goes like this.Mine will do anything yours will.yours aint as fast as you think and mine is faster than you think.

get over it people.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote