New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm Rem. Magnum
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
Hey, a freind had a encore barrel given to him. Its a 6.5Rem Magnum. I tried to find him brass for it with no luck from the regular internet sellers. Do you know why the caliber is gone? Does anyone know where to find brass like this? Thanks,
BC

<Paul Dustin>
posted
You can try www.midwayusa.com. You can use 350 Remington brass and neck it down. I know 6.5 Remington brass is hard to fine

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I beleive that Old Western Scrounger has re-formed brass. Dies are not hard to find. I had a Jap 38 rebarreled to this calibre years ago. IMR4831 and 129 grain Hornadys worked very well. Forming 6.5's from .350 Rem Mag is not a single pass operation. Best to form to .30 calibre then go to 6.5. RCBS makes the reforming dies.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Thanks guys for the information. I have never necked down brass. Is it simple as using a neck sizer die and neck down using, (say my 300 Ultra Neck Sizer) and then use a 6.5mm mag full length sizer? Thanks, BC

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I owned a 6.5 Rem Mag I necked down .264 Winchester with no trouble in a single pass through the 6.5 die (of course these 2.5" hulls leave a lot to trim). In fact, I used .264 dies with about .4" hacksawed off of the base. Using new factory .264's, I didn't even have to anneal.

I know that .264 cases themselves are sometimes hard to find, but I suspect 7mm Reminton would work about as well.

You might have to thin the necks after sizing, depending on how tight your chamber is in the neck area.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote