New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which is better brass for the Rigby, Hornady or Norma?

Thanks

Posts: 125 | Location: AK | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Hornady.

More consistent weight, and for a better price.

I've used both Norma and Hornady but only buy Hornady these days.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Hornady works well. NORMA is softer. Remember to chamfer the new brass well and chamber for fit before you load up a full box. (I've had 7x64, .280 Rem and .416 Rigby brass from Hornady.) Mine is a CZ550 Safari Magnum.
Both Hornady and NORMA brass buckle at the neck if attempting to crimp with RCBS die. Nickle-plated factory Federal brass did not. Having said that, with long shank bullets like TSX's or cast boolit light / practice loads, crimping is not necessary anyhow...

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BNagel,
It is important to trim all of your brass to the same length before setting your RCBS die to crimp your loads. Once I began doing this, I've had no more problems with crunching brass of any make.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using both, have no preference, either seems to last quite a while at 416 Rigby pressures.

Cheers.
popcorn

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i like them both, i tend to prefer hornday

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used Hornady for my 416 Rigby. But I have noticed my last batch of Hornady brass started getting split necks after the 3rd reloading. Not many but more than I ever have before. Started to anneal after the second reloading and no more problems.

For what it's worth - Not sure if this is an issue still but Norma did have a spat of loose primer pockets in their 416 brass. But that was several years ago.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either is fine, I've found some primer pockets to be tight with norma brass. Get a Lee Factory Crimp die and eliminate the potential for buckled shoulders.They work great !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee crimp die is the way to go. Well worth the $25 bucks...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank everyone for the advice. Just rekindled an old affair with the Rigby. Ruger RSM.

One of Us
Picture of Mauser66
posted Hide Post
Where can i buy the lee factory crimp for the .416 Rigby?? I cant find it on the internet. Just .416 RemMag...

Regards:

Andy

Posts: 47 | Location: South Hungary | Registered: 26 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall they are special order for some calibers like the .416 Rigby, according to Pierre van der Walts book..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42178 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can send Lee three fired cases from your rifle and they will build you a crimp die that will work in that particular rifle. Any other rifle is suspect. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway USA had Lee Crimp dies for several low density calibers including the 416 Rigby- that's where I purchased mine several ( many now) years ago.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just perused the Midway web site- did not see any Rigby Lee crimp die offered... I would give you mine but alas, it went along with all my big bore stuff a few years back- after two shoulder repairs my ortho guy said to stop....

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If you load the 416 Rigby to traditional levels and not too hot, the Norma brass will last for ever.

I got no case length stretch after 5 reloads of modern loads - 400 gr bullets at 2550 fps & 350 gr bullets at 2700 fps.

Traditional / original loads are 150 fps slower and cases should last a looooong time.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mauser66
posted Hide Post
Thanks HPMaster, Atkinson and phurley5!
I wrote an email to Lee and am waiting for answer.
I got the same shoulder problem with the cases like mentioned above. However i tried to set my RCBS dies very very fine, i buckled one Hornady case after another. Frowner
All the cases were same lenght, unfired.

Regards:

Andy

Posts: 47 | Location: South Hungary | Registered: 26 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in knowing what Lee said about the factory crimp die.
Thanks

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been using Norma brass in our 416 Rigby rifles, works great.

Have also been using Norma and RWS 404 brass for all our wildcats based on the case.

Again, both work great.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68799 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Went with Norma, found 200 rounds new so I grabbed it.
Very pleased with the rifle.
Bench Groups
400 grain nosler, F215M, RL-22, 2548 average, 5 shots .9"
350 TTSX, F215M, RL-22, 2683 average, 5 shots 1.1"
Same loads standing rest,
Nosler 1.1 3 shots
TTSX 1.7 3 shots, dropped one slightly low or would have done better. Saw the crosshair move just as the rifle fired.
The nosler sighted 2" high at 100 yds, the TTSX impacts 2.75 to 3" high with the same scope setting.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Those loads should stand up to anything on the planet and fairly comfortable at 5600-5800 ft#.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Spot on for the 416 Rigby.

If you used H4350 or Re19 and same velocities, you would see a distinct drop in recoil!

It made a BIG difference for my ability to control my CZ rifle off sticks and off hand.

quote:
Originally posted by Akhutr:
Thanks everyone. Went with Norma, found 200 rounds new so I grabbed it.
Very pleased with the rifle.
Bench Groups
400 grain nosler, F215M, RL-22, 2548 average, 5 shots .9"
350 TTSX, F215M, RL-22, 2683 average, 5 shots 1.1"
Same loads standing rest,
Nosler 1.1 3 shots
TTSX 1.7 3 shots, dropped one slightly low or would have done better. Saw the crosshair move just as the rifle fired.
The nosler sighted 2" high at 100 yds, the TTSX impacts 2.75 to 3" high with the same scope setting.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mauser66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akhutr:
I would be interested in knowing what Lee said about the factory crimp die.
Thanks

Lee said, they have one in stock, but directed me to their french partner, as it was easier, becouse i'm living in Europe.
But you can contact them and they will help you!

Regards:

Andy