Find
Notify
Tools

.308 loading
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Anyone have a favorite .308 win load shooting 165 or 168 gr Barnes TS boat-tails or MRX bullets?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine likes varget 46.5 (caveats apply) with 165 SSTs and Partitions, if that's any help. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I havent used barnes bullets. Arent they real long?

I just loaded up some Lapua mega 180 gr with 42+gr of r15 . Lapuas 180s are short and fit just in the neck and close to the lands with the short 308 mag box.

I was examining my other .30 180 & 165gr bullets and AOL and some like the nosler accubond realy have to be seated deep into the case to fit the mag box. Ill buy some shorter round nose bullets for my 308

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
All I can say is work up with IMR 4064 and find the tune for your rifle.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
All I can say is work up with IMR 4064 and find the tune for your rifle.

+1 there, 165's and IMR4064

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheers 41.5gr., 2230-C and 45gr., H380 have given respectable accuracy performance at what looks to be reasonable pressures. The velocities were near or at 2600fps. BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My PSS likes 44.5gr of Varget with the 168.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
I use 44grs N150 with the 168 TSX in my 308, rem 9 1/2 or Fed. 210 primers and Lapua brass. Accuracy is better than with the Sierra 168MK!

But the 150grs TSX or even the 130 TSX is even better suited for hunting with the 08 in my humble opinion.

Posts: 44 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have always used CCI BR primers almost exclusively. Am I missing the boat? Is their a better general choice? Should I always try several just like powders?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CCI's are just fine but I prefer Federals. Primers are probably the variable that affects accuracy the least overall, there are several that work extremely well and I can't think of any that work poorly...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always had good luck with 44.6gr. of 748 WIN. in the 165gr. or 168gr. bullet weight for the 308.WIN. Rem. primer, 9 1/2 LR. and lake city brass.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote