New
Find
Notify
Tools

fat middle magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I wonder if any of the rest of you would like to see the following new cartridge as much as I would: I would like a cartridge similar to the 300 Dakota but standardized by Remington or Winchester with a 0.532� bolt face like the belted magnums (so basically halfway between the Rem ultra mag and the WSM). Diameter at web would be 0.550� and at shoulder would be 0.525� with a 30 degree shoulder. Neck would be 0.310� or so and case length would be 2.550�. This would work in a 3.34� magazine box or longer (I would use a 3.6� box and load the bullet out long). I like the looks/balance of a cartridge with the bullet seated out, rather than crammed way down into the case. My current rebarrel project is a 300 Win Mag in a 3.6� magazine. Chamber will be throated for most bullets to touch lands at COAL of 3.5�. My personal feeling is that the short magnums are less powerful than I would like and I do not get all lathered up about the need for a short action or short bolt throw. Maybe the short mags will be more accurate but for big game hunting I seriously doubt any of us could really utilize any difference. The Ultra Magnums again have the bullet seated deeply into the case, are for the most part not very efficient (burn a lot more powder for not much gain in velocity), and are more powerful and give more recoil than I want or need. So I think a fat, non-belted middle magnum would be just the ticket. Of course we do have the Dakota and I was tempted to go that route but they are non-standard and require opening the bolt face some I believe and the cases are very expensive. What do you all think? Will the majors come out with such a cartridge any time soon? Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Geesh! Just what we need, another .308 caliber cartridge! Hell, last time I checked there were over 31 of them already...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It won't happen. The RUM already fills that roll.

I like to seat my bullets out far as well (I modified the magazine in my 300 Win A-Bolt to accept rounds slightly over 3.6") but they're in the business of selling guns. By limiting the OAL of the RUM to 3.6" they made it short enough to work in most standard length actions.

When somebody can buy a particular rifle in 300 Win or 300 RUM with the same length action, same weight and for the same price, it's a crowded market already. I don't see anything in between being profitable.

That said, the cartridge you describe would be a nice one. I was thinking of designing a wildcat that would have been very similar--until I realized my action was long enough for the RUM. It simply made too much practical sense to stick with a standard round. So I have to seat the bullets in a bit farther, big deal.

Like I always say (unlike most), "It's better to have the bullet take up a little powder capacity than not to have that capacity in the first place!"

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
i'm working on that vary concept except in 6.5cal. sort of a modern 264win mag.
i just got my reamer today.
hope to get the ball rolling after the 1st.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!