THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Load difference in New Cases and then Neck Sized

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load difference in New Cases and then Neck Sized
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you often find that your powder weight needs to increase/decrease in order to repeat groups after firing new brass and then moving to a neck sized case both being fired in the same rifle, etc?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I tend to run the same loads in new vs. fired brass - although fired brass (normally) has a larger capacity.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen any difference; new or FL sized cases will be the same size as fired cases far below peak pressure. Seems the chamber is the limiting factor in "capacity."

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have seen POI shift, and have seen vel differences in unfired vs neck sized...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39554 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i have seen POI shift,

Yes, I also keep new and reloaded cases separate, but I still run identical loads in either. Often my load developments start with new cases and end up with the same brass reloaded 1-X times.

It is rare that I'm ready to measure velocity when I'm still shooting new cases, but I guess it could happen.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There should be negilible velocity difference between new and fired cases. The volume of the pressure cotainment vessel is determined by the chamber, not the case.

Point of impact depends on loading technique, case preparation, and perhaps even the configuration of your chamber.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that the velocity increases a bit on the second firing. Don't know why except maybe some of the pressure goes to expand the case on the 1st firing instead of all the presure behind the bullet on the second loading.
I usually gain around 35 fps. on the second firing with the same amount of powder. I could be wrong, but that is my $.02 worth !

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Hundley:
I have found that the velocity increases a bit on the second firing. Don't know why except maybe some of the pressure goes to expand the case on the 1st firing instead of all the presure behind the bullet on the second loading.
I usually gain around 35 fps. on the second firing with the same amount of powder. I could be wrong, but that is my $.02 worth !

+1

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote