New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum primer or not.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have only been reloading for a few months. I have been using data from Lees Modern Reloading book. I am trying to figure out if the loads in there for the 357 magnum are intended to use magnum primers or standard. It says small pistol.... The book doesn't show any loads using magnum primers for any caliber. I don't want to take a chance on using a magnum primer when the max loads call for a small pistol. Thanks for your help....

Posts: 31 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Bloodhound689,

Welcome to the AR forums!

When loading Full power .357 Mags use the small pistol magnum primer, especially if using a powder like H110 or W296. If using a faster powder like unique or bullseye for reduced loads, like midrnge wadcutters... go with the standard small pistol primer.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 308... I have already loaded some 158swc with Titegroup and HS6 using small pistol primers. I liked the accuracy but there wasnt enough bang to burn all the powder. I left the range with unburned powder all over me.... Plus, I would like to feel a little more punch out of my rounds....

Posts: 31 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another reason why I am asking this question is because all my other books are 8-20 years old and their loads all use less powder then Lee's book tells you to use...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOT....

YOu don't need a magnum primer in almost any case in my opinion for cartridges that are mainly used for North American hunting, minus calibers big enough for Alaskan Great Bears....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a charge of 11.2 grains of blue dot(max in hornady manual) behind a 158 xtp and a cci standard primer. Produces 1400 fps out of a 6" GP-100.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most (all???) books will state if a magnum primer is used in the recipe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I liked the accuracy but there wasnt enough bang to burn all the powder. I left the range with unburned powder all over me.... Plus, I would like to feel a little more punch out of my rounds....

The "unburned" powder has nothing to do with whether you were using a "standard" or "magnum" primer. The degree of crimp will have a much greater influence on velocity and pressure than will the primer in a straight-walled handgun round.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information guys. stonecreek, I am using a Lee factory crimp on all my loads. What can I do to get rid of this unburned powder? I have done alot of reading and have heard nothing but good things about Titegroup and HS6 but It seems as if I am the only one that is getting all this unburned powder... Again.. Thanks for all the comments

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What are your charge weights? Most powders burn at their best w/ loads in the middle to max. range. If your loads are very light, there isn't enough pressure to initiate a complete burn. Magnum primers won't help that much. I only use them in large cases w/ slow ball powder like H110. Stone is right, a good crimp is important.
Hogdon shows 6gr HS6 as a min. & 4.5gr Tightgroup.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hogdon shows 6gr HS6

That is my problem then. I am still using starting loads out of the lee manual... I guess I will have to bump it up a little... Thanks for the info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crimp has little to do with how the powder burns. Case neck tension is much, much more important. The only crimp needed is enough to hold a bullet under recoil.
Some powders do NOT need a magnum powder, even 296. Super cold weather demands one though.
If you have weak neck tension, the mag primer can blow the bullet into the forcing cone before the powder gets a good fire going. Poor accuracy and unburned powder is the result.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote