New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite chronograph?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to purchase a chronograph since I'm getting more serious about my reloading. What's everyone recommend?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used a Chrony Beta Master for years. Would buy it again. Yep you can pay more but why?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
same as ramrod, It has a couple qwerks works for me

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using an Oehler 35 (minus the printer) for ~20 years. They're making them once again but are super pricey.

Posts: 30 | Location: Sandy Lake, PA | Registered: 27 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I've been using a ProChrono Plus since the late 90's. Their new model has a USB interface to record data to a laptop. If I didn't like my old one so much I'd spring for the new one.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody tried the LabRadar yet?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Oehler! Oehler! Oehler!

Nothing even comes close.

No idea if LabRadar is available yet - they seem to be advertising for donkey's years and no sign of it yet!

We have tried them all, including some from Europe.

Non works as well and as consistently as the Oehler in our under ground range.

Just went to LabRadar web page.

Still no sign of it, and they claim that their "pre-order" is full??

What the hell does that mean??

I thought pre-order is you place your order, and when it is available you get it.

I tend to have my doubts about any company that advertises a product years before it is in production.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68731 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my Oehler since the early 90s. Can't ask for better.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LabRadar has been delievered to pre-orders with some review. Sounds good so far.

Might be the best for larger bores here, since Oehler would be about the same price.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1973 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oehler, I have had mine since the Model 35 came out. The proof channel system is still the most accurate, you are only out a few dollars if you accidentally shoot a screen and not the entire chrono and their software is very good. As the saying goes "cry once" and buy the best.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I will agree the Oehler is the cream of the cream. Had one with a partner years ago until he screwed me out of my half.

Bought the Beta Master to replace. Had the same readings and results. Only issue I've ever had with the Chrony was the diffusers coming loose. That was a quick fix.

Want the best out there the Oehler if probably hard to beat. Want one that will give you basically the same readings for a fraction of the cost look to the Beta Master.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
For quality you can't beat Oehler. Had mine since the mid 80's. It's a bit of a PITA to set up but I know that it is accurate and reliable. If I was starting out today would probably get one of the inexpensive ones then decide if I needed the Oehler later.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I wasted my time on 3 different, crummy Chronies The customer service was a joke as I only understand Engish.

clap The Oehler solved it all. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I bought a Chrony back when it was called a Master Beta. Clever name, huh? Anyway, it always works great and I would buy again

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Mixed blessings. I have both a Chrony and a MagnetoSpeed.

The Mag-Speed is an amazing device and is absolutely not reliant on the sun conditions. That alone makes is priceless to me in SoCal.

Unfortunately it's useless for handguns. I can't imagine putting the magneto speed on a revolver or auto and actually think it would stay on the gun. So I revert to my Chrony for that.

So, for rifles my Magnetospeed is my go-to.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Mixed blessings. I have both a Chrony and a MagnetoSpeed.

The Mag-Speed is an amazing device and is absolutely not reliant on the sun conditions. That alone makes is priceless to me in SoCal.

Unfortunately it's useless for handguns. I can't imagine putting the magneto speed on a revolver or auto and actually think it would stay on the gun. So I revert to my Chrony for that.

So, for rifles my Magnetospeed is my go-to.

Does it affect accuracy or point-of-impact?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just got a MagnetoSpeed unit, and I am planning to test it to see if it affects the accuracy.

Posts: 68731 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies. Looks like Oehler directly is the only way to get a 35 right now. Still weighing out whether or not it's worth it (to me) to spend over 4x the amount on the Oehler vs other brands.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Just got a MagnetoSpeed unit, and I am planning to test it to see if it affects the accuracy.

I'll look forward to seeing that, Saeed.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody have experience with the LabRadar chronograph?

If it works, it would be a real step forward and worth getting.

But, we don't know yet.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:

On every rifle I have put it on it affects POI, but not really the accuracy that I can tell.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
Anybody have experience with the LabRadar chronograph?

If it works, it would be a real step forward and worth getting.

But, we don't know yet.

All the reviews I have read is it is a bit finicky with some software updates coming. Many have reported it is failing to consistently pick up small projectiles. 22-24cal.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have started the test on the accuracy effect of using the MagnetoSpeed.

First off it is being installed on a Walther KK 200 match 22 rim fire rifle.

My plan is to shoot 18 groups of 5 shots each with it on and off - I have actually shot 21 groups without it with this rifle, and will shoot groups with it installed next.

Next is to repeat the test with a 223 Remington, 308 Winchester and a 300 Winchester Magnum rifles.

It should give us some idea of what effect it might have on accuracy, being attached to the muzzle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my Magnetospeed on both my S&W 629 and my Ruger Super Redhawk without any problems. Works fine on my rifles too. Obviously it won't work on my semi-auto pistols and I'm anxious to see if the Labradar works well. I have light problems here in Alaska (angle of the sun) so something which doesn't rely on light would be optimum for my situation.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There's a Oehler 35P just listed on Benchrest Central, $400.00. A Fair Price, Great quality!!
Mack

Posts: 15 | Location: Va. | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

Groups with magneto on and without Left to right respectively.

Yeah you can not chrono and do accuracy tests at the same time

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With my Magneto V3, the 243, 264 WM and 25-06 just have a change in POI. With one of the 30-06 (older Mtn Rifle from Rem) it messes with the group. With the new (to me) Mod. 70 30-05 I see no change in POI and a slight change group size. On a 300 WM I had, group size was slightly larger (not as much as Fotis' shows) and POI shifted 5". I would agree with Fotis that doing accuracy and velocity at the same time is a YMMV situation.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21
Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of
Congress...But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The question I have is why are you worried about shooting groups with it on.

I get the velocity measurements then proceed on.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

With other chronographs, you can both at the same time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes you can I just never bother to do both at the same time.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oehler.

One good thing about a Chrony is have the right light conditions and it will turn a 270 Win into a 270 Wby Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael McGuire:
Oehler.

One good thing about a Chrony is have the right light conditions and it will turn a 270 Win into a 270 Wby Big Grin

That's good to know, perhaps you could package up some of that light you have and send it on to all us Chrony users. That light might turn my 7mm-08 into a 7mmWM tu2

Yes many chronographs around that serve the same purpose, I've had my Chrony F1 since the late 70's or early 80's, one of the first batch brought to NZ. It has given good service and continues to do so. If I was doing a lot of chronographing a unit with a remote read screen and a memory would obviously be an advantage, but I don't and never have so the little chrony suits me.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oehler and a pro Chrony plus...I like the Pro Chrony mostly because it works as well as the high dollar Oehler and quicker to set up and get done....It also cost about $109. when I bought it...

Stay away from that little red box chrony, it will waste more ammo and cause you much frustration on cloudly days and sunny days, its a pain in the butt...Those that claim it as a dandy have never used it much, and that's a fact.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

bingo

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes you can I just never bother to do both at the same time.

That is ok if you only have a few rifles......

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Oehler and a pro Chrony plus...I like the Pro Chrony mostly because it works as well as the high dollar Oehler and quicker to set up and get done....It also cost about $109. when I bought it...

Stay away from that little red box chrony, it will waste more ammo and cause you much frustration on cloudly days and sunny days, its a pain in the butt...Those that claim it as a dandy have never used it much, and that's a fact.

Mr. Atkinson:

This is my 5 USD solution (material - LED strip, cables, 9V connector and some UV cured glue etc., 30 minutes work excluded) to cheap "red boxes". It works now in all light conditions including total darkness.

Jiri

Posts: 2108 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that I've only owned one but have tested it against the magnito and other chronographs.

Mine's the chrony master beta.

Zeke

Yes, I'll admit to master beta-ing ! haha

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri,
Excellent idea, and if it works you need to patent it and sell it...awesome and certainly needed!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Mr. Atkinson,

there are already factory made "lights" for those red boxes, but mostly are made for connecting to grid (120 or 220V). I just made it by myself at the fraction of price and it is portable.

But tested it yesterday in indoor range with intensive fluorescent tube light (it is blicking or strobing at high frequency). It has been sometimes jammed by this. Will try to cover with black cloth from upside.

In indoor in almost total darkness and under incandescent bulb light, it worked flawless. Outdoor, there will be no "artificial jamming".

Jiri

Posts: 2108 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody out there with experience with the new LabRadar yet? If this doppler radar technology can be made available at a reasonable price, it becomes a game changer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had such good luck with the pro chrony plus, that I seldom use my other high dollar chronograph anymore..

The prochrony plus at a tad over a hundred bill is so easy to haul out to the range and sets up so quickly that its about all I use, even at home on my short rifle range. I keep it on a tripod in the shop and flip the switch on and shoot. I have tested it on my Oehler several times and its within 10 to 15 FPS or better every time.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120